Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Knowledge and skills

How can someone without a sense of leadership but with knowledge and skills, become a great leader?

Ernst B,
I would encourage that person to develop in the area of emotional intelligence. To me, a great leader is someone who listens to & understands people. These are skills that can also be learned & developed.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Ernst,
That's a great question you raise and one that I've been posing to myself as I read through the course content. I've found myself nodding in agreement on numerous occasions. Personally, I am about to embark on a journey as a first-time manager asking myself will I be good at it? Can I make the transition from doer to motivator? How can I gain respect from my direct reports when I am half the age of some? Will they be as accepting of the diversity that I am bringing as I hope to be of them? I think the best advice so far is to refrain from making assumption rather, to get to know your team and how they would like to be treated. Even if my lowest EI score is in empathy and predicting how others are feeling, I believe I can begin with this sound advice and go from here.

Sign In to comment