Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Peter Principle

I have recently encountered the Peter Principle (people are promoted to their level of incompetence) in a real-world application, and as a result I have begun to reassess my perceptions that hard work, dedication to ones career/job, job competency, and team leadership skills, would be sufficient for upward movement.

Could someone clarify why this type of a senior might transpire in today’s completive economic situation businesses are facing? I would perceive that companies would want the most qualified individuals in key management positions.

roy,
this is a great question. I think it's because we still equate what you listed above as "qualifications" & we fail to see the difference between front line work & supervisory/management/leadership skills.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have encountered a similar situation in several different industries. Most recently, I believe that flaws in the interview and selection process lead to a pool of candidates who are lacking in key management skills. Thus, the Peter Principle persists!

Cindy,
I would agree there are problems in the interviewing & selection & also most organizations do not adequately develop the leaders that they currently have or their future leaders.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree with that. In real life this is a reality, it is often a bit confusing to get to balance managerial decision making to promote the right people, with the best preparation in key positions. The management is not exempt from human passions, and decision making based on feelings, and not in objective data and facts regarding the leadership skills and qualifications of a person to be promoted.

RAMON,
and this is why I believe so strongly in effective leadership development programs. Someone may have been promoted too far, but we can maybe help them be effective still if we provide training & coaching.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment