Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

the ADDIE model does not incorporate time lines.. that's why I think this project charter complements it nicely

Kassy,

Thanks Kassy and nice point about the distinction!

Dr. Eric Goodman

The Project Charter is a document that identifies the nature and scope of the work to be completed. It also contains the expectations of management for results. Some key components that are necessary for a successful Charter include the following: mission, scope, roles and responsibilities, concise deliverables, time frame, budget, assumptions, constraints, quality requirements, risks, organizational benefits, and sponsor signature.

The Charter is a large contributor to the project management process because it provides a working foundation for the project. By design, it generates thought about essential elements to the project serving as a road map to align all of the components. Additionally, it serves as a tool to identify any potential problems, clarify needs of project, and communicate among vested parties.

Dr. Stacee,

Wow, excellent review of the project charter and its various aspects! Do you think it would be possible to successfully manage a project without a charter?

Best,

Dr. Eric Goodman

In project management, a project charter, is a statement of the scope, objectives and participants in a project. It provides a preliminary delineation of roles and responsibilities, outlines the project objectives, identifies the main stakeholders, and defines the authority of the project manager. It serves as a reference of authority for the future of the project. The terms of reference is usually part of the project charter.

Carolyn,

Thanks for the summary and I'm wondering how you foresee applying this in the future?

Dr. Eric Goodman

The main purpose of the Charter is to put down in writing the exact nature of the project including all elements that can affect it's success or failure. Elements should include time frames, skills required, main objective, risks and benefits. I think that this is the "magna carta" for all members of the project to agree to and to adhere to. I also believe that each member of the team agree on team norms to be able to hold each other accountable for the progress of the project.

James,

Great analogy to the Magna Carta. Is there an approach you've found helpful in gaining agreement to team norms?

Dr. Eric Goodman

In my current position as Program Director I am constantly required to complete numerous reports as well as keep track of data pertaining to the program. The concepts learned here have equiped me to be more effective in these areas.

Wonderful Carolyn!

It is great to know that you found these applicable.
Best wishes,
Eric

A project charter is a “guide” to ensure that all items stay on track. The cost, risk assessment, and people are all subject to be a part of the charter. It is important to follow and use this. This will help everyone understand their role and also refer back to it in order to be successful throughout the project.

Patricia,

Thanks for the concise summary of a project charter. Do you think that a project charter needs to be revised?

Dr. Eric Goodman

I view the project charter as the rules for the project. Understanding what is expected and how it must be done is important for the optimal performance of the team.

Magdalena,

Yes, understanding is critical although I'm wondering if you've ever encountered a situation where people understand the plan but were not able to implement it?

Dr. Eric Goodman

The charter is the map or guidelines for the successful completion of the project. The charter may have a plan or course of action when something goes wrong and how the situation will be handled.

Nikki,

Excellent explanation of the project charter. I'm wondering about your thoughts on whether this is something that ever changes?

Dr. Eric Goodman

In most cases a charter should not change; however as time goes on and particular unforeseen events occur, modifications may need to be made. Modifications will not change the charter in its entirety, but will be used to cover the needed changes for the unforeseen cases.

Nikki,

Great point about unforeseen events. Do you think there is ever a time that a charter would change in its entirety?

Dr. Eric Goodman

A project charter is the birth of a project...it represents the fact that there is a project in existence and it was created by the project's sponsor and upper management. This charter reduces the risk of a project being cancelled due to lack of support or perceived value to a company. This is not the same thing as the project management plan. I like to call it a blessing from above...to improve something within the company that needs a change.

Sign In to comment