Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Not being the facilitator, can I bring more structure to a meeting?

We have weekly meetings to report on our campus Matrix numbers and Instructor performance. Our meetings are planned for 1 hour and 30 minutes. A majority of the time our meetings will exceed 2 hours, and can go as long as 3 hours. We have Problem Solving, Decision Making, Reporting & Feedback and Status Update Meetings all rolled into one meeting. Being merely a participant in these meetings, what can I do to help structure our meetings better?

Matthew,
Meeting time and outcomes are dependent on the organization of the meeting. A decision needs to be made of what information can be communicated in writing or other ways. All participants should understand the expected outcomes prior to the meeting and have questions submitted prior to the meeting. Questions could be answered in writing which would limit further questions for only clarifications. Separate meetings could be held with individuals for further discussion for those who need the time for clarifications.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I lead similar meetings. When the attendees and facilitator are prepared the meeting goes much more smoothly (which I have recently learned). I would think that you should be able to lead by example to some extent. When you come prepared and are effective others will learn to do the same. Ultimately, if your facilitator isn't prepared you will struggle. Feedback from my team (indirect) led me to this course. If you were on my team and made even a subtle suggestion I would hear it and work to change my behavior. It is taking some time.

Melanie,
For people to become acustom to your stye and nowing what to expect makes for a great meeting. Everyone should be aware of the expectations for the meeting.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment