Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Too Young to be taken seriously??

I seem to have an issue everywhere I work where I am much younger than other people in my position and my peers dont take me seriously and act like I dont know enough to be able to bring anything to the table. I have gone through the exact same schooling and training - if not more!! I just worked straight through instead of taking breaks. How do I get them to realize I got this job for a reason and I do know what I am doing??

I don't think age should matter. If a person acts and behaves in a mature manner that all that matters.

As the "older person" on the managment team, there are times when I think, how would you know what to do or lead us through this project... you have'nt been in your leadership position long enough to make the call, etc.. However, when I see a younger leader with maturity and confidence, ability to motivate, willingness to listen and accept other ideas, I will take that person very seriously! Don't try to take it all on yourself. Gain their trust, don't whine and be successful.

First, you can NEVER make anyone do anything they don't want to do. They have to realize it for themselves.

Second, you strive for excellence in yourself and in your team's efforts. Never accept "good enough" but rather, keep working to make things better.

Third, understand there may be some resentment for having subordinates that are older than you. You must not give into the emotional push for validation. A leader is validated by achieving the goals of the team.

Fourth, seek counsel from your team. As a leader, I am the youngest on the team, but I listen to my team's thoughts and concerns. Afterwards, I will make a decision and step out.

If your team senses that you REQUIRE their validation in order for you to effectively lead, then they won't respect your leadership and you will absorb the confidence and credibility hit.

-R

Sign In to comment