Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Changing Rubris

As I read through the responses, a thought popped into my head.

I will admit that I teach for a couple of universities and some of our rubrics we can not change. This makes me wonder how evaluating a rubric will work if you do not have the authority to change them. Would you pass the information along to the university for them to change and would they actually change it?

Simone,

Sad that you cannot change a rubric - so sad. But, yes definitely! I would still assess the rubric myself, have the students assess the rubric and pass the information along to the student director, course designer, university or anyone who will listen.

I think that by assessing a rubric, the instructor can make a case for changing the rubric. Having tried this myself, I admit it took three semesters and feedback from another instructor to change the rubric. I'm afraid that the drive to standardize rubrics loses the purpose.

Sarah,

Yes indeed. We have to continually evaluate everything we do - even our rubrics. Good point.

Thanks!

Hello Simone,

I also had success with working with my colleagues who taught the same courses as I do and we were able to revise our rubrics. It was a long process as you had to decipher through many comments and opinions, but in the end it allowed us to have a working rubric that was helpful for our students.

Janelle and Simone,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Anything the students see as helpful is great.

Unfortunately, there are schools with established rubrics, others ask you to develop my own, and some it is a collaborative effort. However, one good thing is the rubrics do provide me with feedback that show me problem areas for students as a whole. Therefore, when I suggest a change, I can use this information as a basis for making modifications that will help the student to better develop assignments.

Samantha Eaddy

Samantha,

We just have to be able to edit rubrics to meet the needs of our students. That's just the way it is. Thanks!

Hi Simone,
If the university creates the assignments wouldn't they be the best to create the rubric.
Janis

Janis and Simone,

Thanks for keeping the conversation going about rubrics. You bring up some very good points! Thank you.

I've yet to work with an institution that didn't seek faculty input and eventually act on it. The key word is 'eventually' though. Fortunately, the vast majority of rubrics have enough leeway in them to bend them a bit to better suit my desires, or open feedback elements that allow for specific thoughts.

Trip

Sign In to comment