Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

visual rubrics

Can rubrics be use to evaluate appearance of a food item and leave subjectivity out of it?

Todd,

Well, I would think so. Isn't there certain "plating" criteria? And, what about color, portion, etc.? Would that work?

I sat here thinking about this, and while it appears Todd facilitates culinary related curriculum, the subjectivity is quite similar (albeit more tasty) to visual communications work. If one were to transpose the senses for a moment, it would be easy to perhaps even adapt visual communications oriented rubrics to the culinary arts. Plating, presentation, precision, neatness, etc. all directly cross over, just in varying manners. Extending this a bit, reviews from wine, whiskey and cigar critics (web sites and magazines I've read) have essentially strict rubrics used to rate each, following the same elements we've been reading such as scale, criteria, descriptors, standards, etc. So I know that the Cigar Aficionado 94 rated CAO I enjoyed the other day would have comparable quality to the 94 rated Opus X sitting in my humidor. It would be a reliable indicator for future purchases as well, as many ratings are written by varying critics.

Trip

Sign In to comment