Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do our students feel about this type of feedback?

How do our students feel about this type of feedback?
"I have often wondered about the weight given to different aspects of our assignments over the course of my entire tenure with AIU. It was nice to be able to see it in black and white, before grading. I would honestly like to see all of the instructors incorporate this information into communications with the students. I think it helps in deciphering what the key points to the assignments actually are. "
" The new components help you to gauge where you stand and what areas you need to work on. The assignments are broken down in a way that helps you to focus on your weak areas."
" They were helpful to see where the student excelled in the assignment as oppose to an overall score. Minimal feedback does not provide the student with the knowledge of what needs to be worked on."
"I have never received such detailed feedback from any Instructor while at AIU. Please don't get me wrong, I've received meaningful, solid feedback... however, nothing the likes of what you've provided! Thanks for the detailed feedback!"

Sabrina,

I also include the learning objectives within the rubrics themselves. This helps the students understand why they are doing what they are doing as they work toward the learning objectives. Thanks!

Students appreciate having detailed feedback. I recently received a comment from a student that he "could tell" from the feedback I had read his paper. I hope so!

Jane,

Awesome. When you get that feedback from students, you know they are going to work harder next time. They also respect that you are involved in their learning. Thanks!

Yes, I have found that they appreciate having rubrics.

I also , like adding the learning objectives to the rubrics. Whether course or weekly objectives.

Val,

My students do as well. It helps them see what they need to be doing and what they may have done incorrectly.

Thanks!

Val,

Yes - I think that really helps students see why they are doing what they are doing. Thanks!

I've found that students really appreciate this kind of feedback. Rubrics provide an outline of the expectations, in addition to specific feedback for each requirement or criteria. Rubrics provide key points for the students to focus on, and also assurance that critical learning outcomes are addressed.

Natasha,

They do appreciate the feedback and the guidance rubrics provide up front as well. Thanks for sharing.

I found it depends on the institution. Students in programs that use rubrics really come to expect this form of feedback. They have difficulty understanding traditional descriptive feedback.
Students that are new to rubrics often prefer detailed feedback.

Angela,

True, it does depend on the institution. What do you do at your institution? I think rubrics provide great feedback.

Sign In to comment