Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In my school, rubrics are generated by the administration. I understand the value of generating rubrics, but the problme is that it is not possible given the current state of affairs. I think that rubric generators would be quite helpful particularily if I was a course developer or creater. There is additional income available in developing courses, but the problem is finding the right contact person. Then, rubric generating software would be essential.

Donald L. Buresh

Donald,

You don't need specific software to create rubrics. And, if others are making your ruvpbrics, please, p,ease, p,ease make sure they are measuring the learning outcomes. The outcomes should actually be listed on the rubric itself.

I have used rubistar before as a rubric generator and it has worked very well for me. I really like the design and how precise this program is for developing a rubric.

Hi, Darcy:
I think you will like rubistar. I have never tried to use excel to create a rubric. Have you found that with practice, you have become better with creating a rubric?

Adib,

Yes, Rubistar can help. I even look at Rubistar sometimes to simply see if I have forgotten a category or how to word my criteria better, etc. Thanks.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Adib,

With practice you will definitely become more comfortable with the process. Thanks for your input.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

I had not heard of tools for generating rubrics. This is great information. I will be sure to check it out.

Paula,

Yeah! It's always fun to learn more information. Check them out and see what works for you. Thanks for your input.

I have never used a online rubrics generator but they appear worth investigating.

Steven ,

I look at the online rubrics for ideas for criteria or what should be assessed (the category) and then I make my own. Also, we use BBoard and you can now actually make the rubrics within that system now. It's whatever works for you.

That is all great information. I am going to look into Excel & model them for what I need in my classes. Thank you!

Rita,

Super. Glad you are learning through these forums and taking information back to your classroom. Take care.

We are already provided with rubric formats based on the curriculum which I prefer .

Juanito,

Just make sure the pre-maderubrics directly relate to the learning objectives in your class. It is beneficial for instructors to be able to edit the rubrics to meet their needs. Thanks.

I liked the comments on using Generators, something I have never tried. I have been creating my own rubrics for 20 years, so checking out some of these tools might give me some new ideas. Thanks!

Sarah,

We continue to learn from others. It's a great thing. You can also save your rubrics in many of these places and share them with others. After 20 years, I'm sure many newbies and "oldbies" would love your help.

When I have to develop a rubric, I too do so with specifics not found in a pre-made or generated rubric. However, I want to be sure not to make the rubric so restrictive that the student is not able to relay individual understanding and insight. That is a major concern. I have such a vision of what should be done in a paper or written assignment that I outline my concept in a rubric but to the degree that student creativity is threatened.

Samantha Eaddy

Samantha,

So true. We have to edit rubrics to meet our needs and the needs of our students. We don't typically find the perfect pre-made rubric. Thanks!

Sign In to comment