Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

peer reviews

Can students effectively critique others correctly using the rubric if they don't have the experience with the product?

Todd,

Sure, I've seen it happen. Students need help in learning how to provide constructive criticism and this is a good way to do it.

I frequently tell students in courses where we have peer review/critique elements that: we're not trying to find fault, but rather a few things positive, as well as a few things that could be done different. I bring this point forward because it seems, over the years, that students are for the most part, genuinely afraid to offend, or lack the confidence to speak their opinions. I'm never looking for things done wrong, thus the bit about providing things that could be done 'different', yet I frequently only get positive comments. I've seen it to the extreme when a submission shouldn't have been submitted and students go to such great effort to positively comment (lacking anything else) that I can see the veins popping out of their heads in strain trying to come up with the few comments they can.

I've never put a rubric in place of an open critique, but I really can't imagine that resulting much differently...

There is the rare student who will call them as they see them, and I have yet to see a revision made on these rare, yet honest critiques, even if it's obvious the suggestion would improve the end product.

Trip

Sign In to comment