Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have started to include some of the tool (since I teach computer programming) that I use to "test" code so the students can perform the tests themselves.

Ron,

What tools is that? And, do students get credit for self-assessment? Thanks for your input.

I like having students perform peer review of fellow student drafts. A common complaint I get is, "I don't even know what I'[m doing, how can I judge and give feedback to someone else?"
I need to remind them that by identifying the good or bad in another's paper, you're showing an understanding of the criteria. It is actually more the the reviewer than the reviewee...

Jenifer,

Good point. They should be able to use the rubric and the specific criteria to help others improve. And, if nothing else, they can look for spelling or grammar. We can all do that. Thanks!

I find that self- and peer assessment works in a number of cases, but I do not think that the processes are the best approach for every occasion. I think that generally self-evaluation is appropriate, but some learning styles may be prone to over-think assignments. I often suggest that students allow their work to rest for a while, move onto something else, and return for assessment after the mind has disconnected from the assignment. It can be easier to evaluate one’s own work this way.

Sometimes it can be difficult for a student to evaluate his or her own work clearly. Despite the obvious need for self-assessment in writing, the idea that one has spent some time on an assignment but is then to return and see what is not working well may not be something everyone would naturally look forward to.

Recently in a peer-assessment exercise, several students read another student’s rough draft, and their writing changed to reflect the writing of the peer whose work was read. As the instructor, I had provided an assignment rubric, categorical grade assessment, and after reading student essays, sent each student a line-edited version of his or her essay. The student’s essay that was read and emulated was overly long—within criteria but really stretching the boundaries—and its tone and style were inapplicable for the assignment. The essay read was a clichéd, over-descriptive, flowery tale that actually seemed like a poorly written romance novel. I cannot see that this type of prose is going to be effective for future assignments in that or other classes, but several other student revisions mimicked the overly melodramatic style.

With peer review, I let students know that some ideas presented by peers may be applicable, but some may not. I also let students know that analysis of one’s own writing is an important element because there may not always be a peer available to read work that needs to meet a deadline.

I find that self- and peer assessment works in a number of cases, but I do not think that the processes are the best approach for every occasion. I think that generally self-evaluation is appropriate, but some learning styles may be prone to over-think assignments. I often suggest that students allow their work to rest for a while, move onto something else, and return for assessment after the mind has disconnected from the assignment. It can be easier to evaluate one’s own work this way.

Sometimes it can be difficult for a student to evaluate his or her own work clearly. Despite the obvious need for self-assessment in writing, the idea that one has spent some time on an assignment but is then to return and see what is not working well may not be something everyone would naturally look forward to.

Recently in a peer-assessment exercise, several students read another student’s rough draft, and their writing changed to reflect the writing of the peer whose work was read. As the instructor, I had provided an assignment rubric, categorical grade assessment, and after reading student essays, sent each student a line-edited version of his or her essay. The student’s essay that was read and emulated was overly long—within criteria but really stretching the boundaries—and its tone and style were inapplicable for the assignment. The essay read was a clichéd, over-descriptive, flowery tale that actually seemed like a poorly written romance novel. I cannot see that this type of prose is going to be effective for future assignments in that or other classes, but several other student revisions mimicked the overly melodramatic style.

With peer review, I let students know that some ideas presented by peers may be applicable, but some may not. I also let students know that analysis of one’s own writing is an important element because there may not always be a peer available to read work that needs to meet a deadline.

Marcia,

Thank you for such a thorough posting. I particularly agree with the idea of students letting their work rest for a bit, reflection and self- and peer-assessment.

Nice job.

Peer assessment can work very well. Often time students are more accepting of peer comments, particularly if they are hearing the same type of comments from multiple students rather if they just hear from the instructor who may be viewed as just being to picky :)

Sharon,

I like to use self- and peer-assessment. The feedback peers can provide to other students is great for all of them. Thanks!

Hi Terry,

Self and peer-assessments utilizing rubrics can be effective. In the respect of self-assessment, the student learns to use the rubric as an effective tool for future assignments. The same for peer assessments. I generally do not have students assess their classmates in the same class. Instead I will often draw an assignment from previous classes (with names removed of course) and ask students to assess the student. This gives them a chance to play me and see how I would grade them. By stepping into my shoes they are better able to see and plan their own assignments according to the rubrics.

Christina,

Good point. When I do peer evaluations, I do them anonymously. I think the student then provides more detailed and honest feedback. Thanks.

I couldn't agree more with you. However the results from my ECON classes are closer to 50/50 with an anonymous peer evaluation that I conduct. In order to give more meaningful feedback, I made sure that a student was never evaluating a student that was closer that three chairs away (or in the same row in most cases). The results came back the same. I am still trying to figure out how to get students to be more honest with grading their peers work because it will help to shed light on what my expectations are as well as show how other students have approached the same assignment.

Ronald,

Are you using rubrics? I assign students anonymous peer evaluations and the students have to use the same rubric that I will use to assess students' work. I require that the students complete the rubric and give one strength and one weakness for the assignment. This gives them an opportunity to get more feedback from their peers and learn how to give constructive feedback to others. All students give me the completed rubrics, I scan them and if there is not enough info, I have them add to the comments. I then return all rubrics to students and no one knows who gave the feedback. It's truly anonymous. It works for me.

I do not like them. It is like watching the judged events at the Olympics - not accurate.

Kevin,

I think self-assessment can be very accurate. We have to work with students to assist in the accuracy.

Sign In to comment