Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubric Debate

I have used rubrics in the majority of my classes, at several universities, for discussion questions and written assignments. Even though I have provided feedback that expands upon the criteria, it sometimes seems as if the students still do not completely understand their grade or the reason why points were taken off. As grading a written assignments is subjective, how can we get students to have a better understanding of what is missing in their assignment? To be honest, is there anything that we can do if we are providing comments and feedback to support the rubric already?

Simone,

I think the rubric criteria are the key. The evaluation of the written assignment can become more objective with the use of rubrics. Ask students for feedback on the rubric and how the criteria could be more clearly explained. Thanks for the question.

Hi Simone,
I think a good answer to your dilemma is to be sure that students read the rubric. I often wonder if students take the time to read the rubrics. Maybe include in your feedback to look at the rubric.
Janis

Janis and Simone,

Yes, I agree. I many times have the students self-assess using the rubric before I assess them with the same rubric. That helps.

Hello Janis,

I think you are absolutely correct. There are many students who simply log into their classrooms and complete the assignments and discussion boards without ever reading the additional information an instructor may post.

One way I try to combat this is to go over the rubrics in the first Live Chat I complete for the class. I typically have a large attendance on that first day and it allows me to show the students where the rubrics are located and what information is included.

This has proven to be very helpful!

Janelle

Janelle and Janis,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. Using the Live Chat to go over the rubrics would be very helpful to students. Thanks!

Sign In to comment