Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My Experience With Rubrics

I am a professor at a Career College and I am a HUGE proponent of using rubrics in the classroom. In fact, I refuse to teach a class unless the class is properly equipped and outlined with rubrics to help keep the students on track. I look to these documents and actually refer to them to my students as my 'contract' with them for every assignment.

I try to impress on them that the rubric should be used as a checklist for them to complete before turning in an assignment. It usually takes one set of project grading and feedback for them to become familiar with my style of grading and offering feedback on their projects, but I have found that the rubrics have played a significant role in the success of students in my classroom.

Joseph,

Another rubric lover. ;-) Thanks for sharing your experience with using them and relating them to the success of your students.

I have enjoyed introducing rubrics into my class, particularly for discussion assignments. The rubric provides as a guide for students to know exactly how they will be rated (helps them decide what grade they want).
Reviewing the rubric after the assignment is graded, provides specific feedback on the areas where they need to improve.

Hi Joseph
I'm very new to the Rubrics grading method. Over the first week I hated when you could not change a grade when the student turned in half was correct work. But know I have learned to make more notes and ask question to student as a follow to make sure they meet the requirements for the assignment.

Angela,

Right on! Rubrics are very beneficial to students, but don't forget they help the instructor as well. Glad you enjoy using rubrics.

Juan and Joesph,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. Why could you not change a grade when students turn in half of the work?

Sign In to comment