Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubric Structure

One thing that I have seen as I have developed rubrics is that students do not seem to understand the point system without a key. I like to break down the points to explain what excellent, good, average, needs improvement and unacceptable. Does anyone else use some form of key to accompany rubrics and if so, what do you use for descriptions?

Matthew,

I only have one point value for each descriptor. So, there is no confusion. For example, I may use Mastery (10 points), Needs Improvement (7) points, No Evidence Provided (0). I use different descriptor words depending on the assignments sometimes. Hope this is helpful.

Hi Matthew-
I use percentages, rather than points, which seems to make it easier for the students. Also, if the points value of the assignment ever changes, you are not then required to redo the rubric to match it.

Christen Embry

Christen and Matthew,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. We do all have our preferences for points versus percentages. When we find what works for us, we stick with it. Thanks for sharing.

I think you can have both points and percentages, although it depends a bit on the software. Some portal systems may not allow both.

Pat,

It's true, you can have both. It's just important to explain/display it completely in your syllabus and other documents so that the students understand the grading process. Thanks!

Hi Matthew,

I like using the value point for each descriptor. I feel the student would understand exactly what they need to improve on. Thanks for the advice.

Kim

Kim and Matthew,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. It's great that you're striving to help students understand how to improve. That's meaningful feedback.

Sign In to comment