Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Consistent Grading and Feedback

The main reason I like to use rubrics is so I know I am treating all students the same. If points are assigned based on specific criteria, then I do not have to worry that I am treating one student's work different from another. It also gives me the opportunity to give consistent feedback to students so they are all hearing the same things from me. After teaching the same subject so many times, you forget whether you mentioned certain things to everyone or not. And if so, did you describe them the same. I save my comments and refine them every time I teach the same course, but I know I am providing the same quality feedback to everyone.

Carol,

Rubrics do help with consistency in grading. They also allow the students to review the rubric prior to turning in the assignment so they can self-assess. This is very important. Thanks for your input.

Consistency is the main reason that I use rubrics for grading. Rubrics can assist teachers in being more objective graders, rather than subjective. I had not given much thought to the importance of feedback on student learning. Rubrics do help with creating structured, authentic, and meaningful comments. Thanks for the reminder!

Melissa,

Consistency is a great reason to use rubrics. The meaningful comments that you provide through the use of rubrics can be very important to the improvement in student work. Nice job.

students always appreciate rubrics to assist in guiding them through the course with prior knowledge of expectation

Rebecca,

Glad you are seeing the appreciation side of things from the students point of view. Thanks for sharing.

Using a rubric is very helpful for a course. This information when shared early with the students would in fact help them to better understand a assignment. Having the rubric enbedded within the course also allows me as an instructor to grade fairly across the board.

Breezy,

Rubrics are good for instructors and students as well. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment