Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Modifications based on Evaluations

Each term, I have students who provide evaluations based on quality information that is aimed at helping develop the course. However, I also have students who provide evaluations are that do not yield much relevance in regards to making needed or relevant modifications in the course. Typically, the evaluations by the latter are from those students who chose to avoid taking responsibility in the course although every effort was made by me to help the student. I found that instructors cannot be swayed by such evaluations because it will cause the quality of your course to diminish. Doing so does not help the student or instructor develop in the course. We must take these types of evaluations with a grain on salt and move on. However, I found that the students who truly engaged the course have provide quality and constructive criticism through the formative and summative evaluations that helped me make needful and beneficial changes in the class. Over time, I have seen how these changes help future students, and certain modifications are made each term. This may include adding a particular technological tools in the learning process or making modifications to what is already included the class. Student evaluations are absolutely beneficial and are a vital part of the educational process.

Aundrea,

Great post! It can be the way students become bullies. I do discuss with students the role of evaluation and how I use the results. I also give some history of change much like you said. I also talk about sharing what they like or what they think as a positive in the course.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have a hard time justifying a modifiaction to the course when I consistantly see the evaluation questions the rubrics applies to being completely ignored. Its typically an all 5 or all 2 evaluation coming from the student on my performance and the course value.

Sign In to comment