Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Subjective/Objective assessments

How have you used evaluations in your course?
Obviously, Objective Assessments are easy to administer and grade. The drawback of this type of assessment in an online environment is that they are commonly open book. There is no way to prevent students from using their resources unless they were administered in person.
With respect to Discussion Threads, a rubric is utilized. This is a must to provide guidance and structure to an otherwise completely subjective activity.

Oh, don't get me started on the open book! I serve on the committee for online testing at our state college, and it is hair pulling! Our math department requires all students to take their tests on campus. The English department requires the grammar test to be taken on campus. But, we do have proctoring, too. But, this does not solve the tests given online. Do we really know who is writing that essay? Yes, there are cameras, at additional costs.

I think that is a good point about students using open book online. I went back to read about objective assessments to see if that was listed as a disadvantage of objective assessment but it wasn't but probably should be. I know from my own experience, if the assessment is timed the student may do poorly on the assessment with an open book especially when the students have not familiarize themselves with the reading and study materials. With an open book assessment they will need to search for the answers and then running the risk of running out of time and or running the risk of not answering all the questions needed to pass the test. What would be a solution?

Sign In to comment