Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First graduate assignments as diagnostic assessments

Since I teach the first course in a graduate business program, many students are not aware of the large amount of skills they are expected to apply during their graduate studies. Accordingly, I take the time to let them know that their first round assignments will also help them assess where they are with respect to the expected skills for the whole program. For me this is a valuable form of diagnostic assessment.

During the chats and e-mail conversations for the first unit I inform the students they will be applying 10 skills simultaneously in their first round of assignments. These skills include basic computer skills, classroom navigation skills, online learning skills, Microsoft word skills scholarly style writing, use of scholarly databases and library resources, APA formatting skills, critical thinking skills, judgment and decision-making skills, and experimental research skills. I also let them know they should not become frustrated with the amount of skills they need to apply at once but rather send me a note so we can discuss over e-mail or over a phone call.

Once the first round of assignments are assessed and evaluated. I'll take the opportunity to not only provide summative assessment for the unit but also offer formative assessments regarding the application of these 10 skills and their relevance throughout the entire graduate program. Then in the first chat of the second unit I'll also take some time to discuss and offer an overall impression of skills competencies and suggest different resources for those students that discovered they need to refine certain skills.

Although this is not something that is mandated by the current institution which I work for, I think it is very practical and productive way to allow students that have not been in school for while to be able to recognize the range of skills necessary for graduate work and at the same time provide them opportunities to refine some of their skills.

Does anyone else have the experience of using the unit one deliverables as a form of diagnostic assessment?

Ron,

What a great strategy. Their success in the graduate business program depends on your course. Also, I think you are modeling expectation in the workforce. We are expected to incorporate all of the skills to perform a task. We are never asked to use one tool at a time. I think you are modeling an important quality of an educator online; instead of grading you are evaluating. You are giving them feedback to make adjustments to improve performance. Again, you are modeling the workplace. LOVE THIS! ( I am a business professor).

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment