Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology and Assessment

There are a few points that I consider regarding assessment. The rubrics are a wonderful function in LMS. This provides for consistency in the grading process, and gives a level of equity for each student to make the learning and assessment methods cohesive. However, we must ensure that the rubric point allocations are appropriate. I would recommend that the point spread is even rather than having a large gap in the allocation in order to provide the best assessment. Finally, the course content or subject matter has a great deal to do with which assessment is appropriate. Virtual simulations, for example, are a wonderful tool for mathematics, whereas essay tests are wonderful tools for English.

Aundrea,

Rubrics in the LMS are lifesavers and are getting better! You do have to be thoughtful when creating the rubric. Sometimes we don't take that as seriously as we should.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Aundrea,

Rubrics are beneficial for both instructors and students. A recent department began using them and has found them to be time savers, as well as documentation for student complaints of "unfairness". Also, multiple rubrics have been implemented department-wide.

Sara,

Thank you for sharing that! It is a time saver. I don't think we always say that!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment