Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology impact and the learning process

We live in a world where the impact of technology is an integral part of our lives. We learn with technology, pay bills, communicate and entertain ourselves. The younger generation is heavily influenced by technology in a manner that changes the way they retain information. Easy access to the internet via computer or smart phones redefines how we learn stuff. I teach “on ground” and many times when I ask a question the student just access the internet to get the answer. I think that the younger generation knows how easy it is to access up-to-date information, thus it kinds of defeat the idea of retaining knowledge through learning. Apart from the smart phones, most of my student comes with an IPAD or TABLET on which they do their class work. In conclusion, in addition to the way we learn, technology impacts “how much” and “what” we learn.

Neer,

What a great post. You really do have to educate students on the value of information and its source. That is the one thing I think students are missing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Wilkinson,

I totally agree with you that the source and value of information are very important in the learning process. I believe that vetting the source of information for authenticity and evaluating information for appropriateness are critical and integral part of the learning process.

For technology to enhance students learning, it must impart knowledge and not just help students to regurgitate information.

Augustine,

Love your post! Students need to learn to bolster their views and statements with the statement of others. This can be particularly challenging with millennial students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Augustine,

Love your post! Students need to learn to bolster their views and statements with the statement of others. This can be particularly challenging with millennial students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment