Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Grading subjective materials

I teach a Careers class where we build individual resumes etc. This is such a subjective area and sometimes it's difficult for me to use traditional grading methods. I find that using a Digital Portfolio works best for me.

Jennifer,

That would really work for you! Do you use rubrics also?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I'm not currently using a rubric for that portion of the class. I do use it for forums and other assignments related. I haven't figured out a way to use them with the resume/references and cover letters because the material is so personal and subjective. Each student is at a different level within their professional life.

Jennifer,

What you can do is go back and look at the objectives of the resume. What do we expect a resume to have or not have. Parallelism, no mistakes, balance on the page. etc. Determine format elements.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Since I started using rubrics (4-5 years) ago, I have never had any more complaints from students about their grades. The rubric highlights what they did right and what they did wrong. It is awesome.

Emmanuel,

It does seem to provide students with the information needed to complete the assignment. It really details the expectations. Great Post!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Digital portfolios work best for me as well as I teach Visual Communications. Our portfolio is our entrance exam into academia as well as the industry. We are judged and assessed by the quality and body of work we produce in our digital portfolio. When hiring I can tell the talent, attention to detail and knowledge, skill set and technical skill of the applicant based on this very document.

I personally use rubrics, otherwise students are unsure of why they got the grade they did. SOme items in the rubric are: attention to detail, level of completion, technical skill, research, and creativity. Of course there is also grammar and spelling.

Dawn,

They are great aren't they? Do you let the students determine what projects fit the portfolio or do you determine that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dawn,

Rubrics make students focus on the important parts of a project makes instructors better at grading.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I sometimes give them a choice between 2 or 3. I look for current trends in the industry, ofter they know this even more then me (what is cool, what is hot in design, but most importantly what is looked for in a job these days). All projects need to have a single goal in mind: to help them to get a job in their field.

Dawn,

True, do you have criteria for the assignment?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I find it is subjective also. Primarily, a template is provided and format, grammar,and spelling is used as the grading rubrics.

Paula,

You should create your rubric holding students accountable for the objectives of the course. How do you stay consistent in your grading?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment