Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Related to asynchronous online courses (EL116)

For this discussion, I would like you to respond to the following question, providing examples of how you would resolve the problem:  Students have complained that online classes (asynchronous) do not involve the opportunity to ask questions and get quick responses from instructors the way they would in a face-to-face or a synchronous class.  I have seen some courses include an "ask the teacher" open discussion post available for students, but this doesn't provide the spontaneous Q and A I think that they are looking for.  I have created a Zoom hour for some of my classes, but these have been set as a once per week opportunity, and while it gets some student participation, it has been hit or miss. 

So here's the question:  Is there a method you use or have heard of that would resolve the student's need for Q and A time with the instructor that can mimic the spontaneity of a face to face classroom?  Please provide examples.

If students have complained that online classes (asynchronous) do not involve the opportunity to ask questions and get quick responses from instructors, the instructor can set up a set hour for students to chat with the instructor.

I evaluate which questions are asked the most, have a frequently as question page so they can see if their question has already been answered.  

If it still can not be answered then have a set time like Lucy stated above, email student and try to coordinate a time that is convenient.

Sign In to comment