Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mixed Reality | Origin: EL118

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Using Various “Realities” in Online Courses --> Mixed Reality

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The strength of Mixed Reality (MR) is in collaboration. Best practices for the use of MR include instructors immersing in their own content to be able to assist learners and challege them to consider other perspectives;  introducing new elements at a reasonable pace; and including well-designed experiences that focus on helpful mechanisms. Microsoft says MR lets anyone in the general public build their own virtual world, but only a few headsets are available for purchase, and technology requirements to use their application seem quite high level (for instance, 10 gig of free space, high RAM processing, and high-end graphics cards and drivers.

Mixed Reality seems like a great way to present a plethora of history lessons.

MR could really help with distance learning for collaboration.

Our students are experiencing the effects of learning in isolation, even though all faculty are using Microsoft TEAMS, ZOOM or Big Blue Button for synchronous sessions during each course. Using VR, MR and AR could enhance collaborative learning. However, with students learning from home, the technology requirements would be cost prohibitive. When students return to campus after the COVID pandemic, the budget would only allow for a few headsets. Having enough equipment for an entire class seems unrealistic.

MR - hybrid, seems a better solution to isolated learning environments being experenced due to the pandemic.  The educator must commit to self immersion before requiring students to participate. I can see where the increased sesnory stimulation woul be a distraction to some studnets, espeically until they become comfortable with the high level of interaction. One of the most impressive benefits is the worldwide connectivity that overcomes language barriers.

I found the comment about holograms interesting.  Over 20 years ago I was involved in distance education using video tapes as the primary medium and the tapes were of the professor teaching the lecture behind the podium.  We all theorized one day there would be holograms in your home or work that would off on-demand lectures and it appears we are almost there.   I agree with Carolyn Farrell that hybrid is a better learning option than strictly online, especially for those hands on programs such as nursing, IT labs, and aviation maintenance.

I had never heard of mixed reality, however I realized today that it is the best of 2 worlds VR and AR. I can see that MR is the future. 

Mixed reality would be really good to use for the Interior Design standard in my class. 

This would help the students learn how to understand how to wire 

Mixed reality is also a great idea for incorporating information into the classroom. As the technology becomes more affordable and prominent, I do see how it can be useful in the classroom setting. 

Dr. Yvette Artis

I see mixed reality as a means to offer students a variety of learning options to meet their learning needs. Funding for MR will continue to be a challenge. Perhaps education and large corporations can intersect to better prepare students by funding emerging technologies that will improve student outcomes and help create a more competent and confident workforce.

Sign In to comment