Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Copyright Issues and the Classroom

The main issue in teaching art-based classes online is the lack of copyright free images to help hold lectures together and convey not only historical information, but also current styles and techniques. Based on the workshop I just attended only a small portion of an image may be used within a lecture and that usage is limited to a one-time occurrence. Any image prior to 1929 is fair game and may be used within a lecture. That help's when showing students great works of the past and to further vital historical information. The main issue occurs for all modern styles and techniques. It was suggested in the workshop that Clip Art may be used, however in an art class I would stay always from using bland and generic samples.  Besides, those techniques are not where I would encourage my students to move stylistically. I believe I will now start the process of reaching out to fellow artist who I know personally so help fill the missing gaps. With consented written permission, the images may and will be used for demonstrations.

Sign In to comment