Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Copyright Protected Materials

What items or materials are protected under the copyright law?

The course provides some detail about restricted and protected work such as

Dramatic work
Slogans
Dance and choreography
Photos, cartoons, charts and tables
Written work like literature and poetry Works in the public domain
Computer software and websites
Motion pictures and cartoons
Ideas, facts, and data which are descriptive
Sound recordings and musical works

I understand many items Like artwork, graphs multimedia like books, film and software, But not too clear on 3-D items like a gearset, pistons and valves from a motor, or tools to work on engines or electronics controls?

The course in unit 1 lists materials in a table that indicates copyrighted and non-copyrighted materials. There are some exceptions to the list. Public domain means materials produced before 1923, documents from the U.S. Federal government, as well as ordinary materials such as the telephone book and calendars.Here is a sample list of copyrighted materials (Dramatic work,Dance and choreography
Photos, cartoons, charts and tables, Written work like literature and poetry, Computer software and websites, Motion pictures and cartoons, Sound recordings and musical works). This list is incomplete because it does not include websites, blogs, wikis, and tweets,etc.

thanks, Tom

I can understand how photography fits within the copyright realm, but one thing that I can only assume can be described as artwork, is the idea of using life casting. Can making a copy of someone's body (with their permission, of course) be copyrighted? The answer, I'm guessing, is how it is used or portrayed. For example, if an established actor's life mask is entered into an art exhibit, with their permission, can that piece be copyrighted as an art piece? I realize that some actor's likenesses belongs to an estate or corporation. But, what if the person is not an actor at all and has signed a release?

Markia,

It depends if they are copyrighted tools, etc. Does more than 1 company make them or are they specific to one company?

Renee Shaffer

For most of my courses--other than text books and periodical which of course are copyrighted--I use a fair number of websites/video clips, etc. The terms of use (link typically at the bottom of the page) generally identifies a point of contact to seek permission. With each request I've made so far, I've been granted permission to use--process has been reasonably quick and easy.

There are a variety of elements protected. Articles cartoons, multimedia images and really, anything that the artist may have created or author may have created that is owned by them and created by them. All of these elements are copyrighted and should be something that is not utilized in less express permission is given by the author or artist.

Michael,
Cartoons are especially problematic from my experience.

Renee Shaffer

The obvious include: books, periodicals, website info, music/lyrics, movies. And while I knew in my brain that these others were also copyright protected, they are not the most obvious to me. Ex choreography, photos on websites, architecture.
I was also interested to discover copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, short phrases, or ideas/concepts.

This was a question that I wanted answered by the course. I always thought that what every anyone creates it is included under the copyright law.
I knew that recordings, music, video images, written works, plays, and dramatic works were included.

I was not aware that ideas, facts, and data which are descriptive are not protected. Could you please provide an example?

Terry

Terry,
The knowledge that Pearl Harbor was on December 7th. That is a fact. Basic ideas that are common knowledge such as the Edsel Ford didn't sell too well.

Renee Shaffer

I had a video on my class site, and students loved it, it showed the Beauty of Math via many symmetrical and additive number patterns. I just put up the link to it and students clicked on the link and watched it.

But after it was up there for some time, my manager deleted it and told me that it probably violated the copyright laws. I understand, but just did not even think about this before. Now I do, especially after this course!

I had a video on my class site, and students loved it, it showed the Beauty of Math via many symmetrical and additive number patterns. I just put up the link to it and students clicked on the link and watched it.

But after it was up there for some time, my manager deleted it and told me that it probably violated the copyright laws. I understand, but just did not even think about this before. Now I do, especially after this course!

Today it seems that all is protected under copyright. Many of my students are unaware of the legality of it all. One common mistake is assuming that if it is on the Internet, then it is not protected. Recent years have changed the way I approach using material in my classroom

Donald,

Just remember to ask for copyright permission!!

Renee Shaffer

The elements that are protect under the copyright law are: literary works, poetry, music, videos

Original works are protected by copyright. For example: "art, literary work, music, software, etc." (cut from the information given in the "ownership" section of this course)

Renee, I think what info surprised me were the facts on dance and choreography. Hmmm. Certainly items like Written work like literature and poetry, Computer software and websites. Photos, cartoons, charts and tables all fall into that area.

Andrew,
Yes, but think of the creativity inherent in dance and choreography as with other art forms.

Renee Shaffer

Sign In to comment