Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Group or Paired Work

There are powerful and great skills for student development. Additional skills discussed in regards to groups and pair work in the form of a project are . Collaboration, 2) compromise and 3) cooperation. There three concepts provide a wider application for students in the workplace.

There are definite pros and cons associated with group work (or teams) in the educational process. One of the biggest challenges to the group learning model is matching the motivation and commitment levels among students, who may actually be learning how to assess their own levels of motivation and commitment. Oftentimes students are returning to school after a long absence and their responsibilities are varied...other factors are also important, which includes generation (X'ers versus boomers, etc.), and most importantly educational goals. The team structure assumes that many of these factos are consistent and that may not always be the case. Having said that...the benefits are really great if we can achieve buy-in from the students. If the students are given an adequate picture of the benefits, they may be more willing to engage, whereas, if they feel forced upon, they may be reluctant, leading to unnecessary team conflict. So, the idea of collaboration, compromise, and cooperation are not usually the starting point....therefore, the delivery of instruction will be critical in fostering an environment that is conducive to the concepts of collaboration, compromise, and cooperation. Thoughts? 

Thanks Merle for pointing out a key aspect in successful group/peer projects and that is matching student capabilities.  I have tried the A student matched with a C student and it doesn't work - the A student ends up doing the bulk of the work, and the C student gets a ride.  I now match students on how well they performed to date (A to A, B to B...) and save the group/peer stuff for end of term so I have more time to assess who would work with who on a match.

Sign In to comment