Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Knowledge Assessment

In your classroom how do you assess knowledge and understanding verses information recall?

In our Digital Investigations courses, we offer a sample scenario, and we ask the students to explain the steps that they would take to resolve the problem or find evidence. It promotes methodology reflection and critical thinking. We have an opportunity to present their responses in class and to hear the thoughts of others.

Aaron,
Tthat sounds interesting - what software do you use? Are there simulations involved or are these scenarios?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I'll answer this in two parts.

First, the situation I described can be delivered as a standalone exercise.. i.e. "You are called in to investigate credit card fraud... the suspect was found with a USB flash drive... his name is _____... what would be some of the first steps you would take when examing the USB drive?"

The students would be given time to prepare their notes and work on outside of class. The following class they would present their findings orally, and we would discuss.

The other way this is implemented is by ending a hands-on assignment at a roadblock, such as having found an Excel file that is encrypted and password protected. The assignment would end with the question, "What would be the next step in trying to open the encrypted file?"

The may answer with, "crack the password using a dictionary attack," "search the slack space for hidden text," "ask the suspect", "try to locate a file containing the password," etc.

The next hands-on assignment would help guide them through exploring some of these suggestions until ultimately finding the method that gets them in.

Some of the software we used in Digital Investigations I were FTK Imager (free), WinHex (free), the Nirsoft.net forensic utilities (free).

There are simulations involved... I typically demonstrate some of the methods on the screen using a different data set. We then load different evidence and I provide support to their efforts. While they are not working "in groups", I encourage them to help each other since that is often how we get through projects in the real world!

We assess their knowledge and understanding by making them do labs that is associated with the lesson and after they perform the task that reiterates what they learn in the room. They get their labs graded and also take a multiple choice test to see what they have retained and understand.

Ricky,

Great! So the students are assessed in their application of the knowledge (labs) and their information retention (quizzes, tests). Could you also include assessment of their collaborative skills as well (projects)?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

We use a lot of hands on to see if the information is being retained.

Drexel,

Good idea. Also, to ask students to present and teach others, explaining concepts, are effective ways in which understanding can be demonstrated. No one can explain something he/she does not understand :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

i agree with Ricky. We talk about the subject, tell the student what we talked about, ask many questions, then do a hands on assestment followed by a written exam.

when we are in class , if there is any thing in lab that pretaines to class materal we go to lab for hands on. By doing this test scores are higher on average.

steve,

Is there an alternative to the written exam...or coupling that with some other sort of assessment?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Bob,

Without replacing the hands on in the lab, how can new technology provide interactive opportunities that will also enhance the experiential learning for the students?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

by explaining the information on the topic and showing how to do it ,when in lab they can retain how to compleet the task and thus increasing knollage and test scores

Class and lab play a key part in bringing knowledge(verbal) to life. After students see visual tools it can trigger memory from past classroom lecture.

mike,

How does this relate specifically to the use of new technology in a blended course design?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

brandon,
So how can those eperiences be enhanced by "blending" with various media and technological inputs and supports?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

have discusions through out lecture and i ask specfic questions through out the lecture and after and have more discussions and let the use the internet too see certian things too better understand

When a student understands: to me that would mean that the information and the how-to’s will be retained for a long time. Information recall would mean a student can give you the information but can’t give do all of the how-to’s.

John,

Simple explanations and demonstrations of use clearly show the level of understanding - no one can explain something he/she doesn't understand. Our focus as instructors must be to check for understanding throughout the learning process. Good discussion...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Understanding shows that the student is able to mentally assemble a set of procedues that would not be included in info recall.An example might be an engine's fuel curve on a carburetor car compared to the curve on a computer controlled car. The end result we are looking for is basically the same except it is done using two completely different methods.As long as the student was taught both methods, he should be able to accomplish both tasks. I review class material most of the time without referencing the parts of the text where the info came from.I also tend to present this as a casual discussion format usually at the end of class. Most students do not realize that we are reviewing course material!

Sign In to comment