Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping discussions on topic

As an online instructor I often find it difficult to keep the discussion on the appropriate topic. I also often find myself having to diffuse a tense conversation between two or more students. In both of these cases I will often privately email the students involve and remind them of their netiquette along with the importance of adding relevant information to the discussion boards. It usually does not take more than one email to convey the importance of staying on point as well as respecting others who are participating within the discussion board.

Constantly reminding students of the topic to be discussed and private emails work well. The same can be said for f2f classes. Discussions quickly become off topic in that environment as well.

Traci,
This is where it is very important to relay the rules and expecatations of the discussion area on day one of class.

Shelly Crider

Candace,
Good point....topics can change very quickly.

Shelly Crider

I have also experienced challenges with keeping the discussion on-topic. While I have not had students get in an argument with each other, I have recently experienced a student posting his negative feelings about his grades and myself. Due to the types of comments made, I reached out to my lead faculty for guidance. Only after communicating with management did I move forward with deleting his comments and the student was notified through email about the school policies.

As far as keeping the discussion around the unit topic, I have found that posting additional questions to the students helps focus their conversations.

Hi Traci,

As a new instructor I have not yet run into this issue. I am glad to hear that with one simple e-mail to a student that the habit was broken quickly.

In my short experience, I have taken the time to reiterated discussion etiquette with our first live chat, " class room guidelines".

So far it has worked quite well.

Juan,
It is good to make discussion expectations known in week one as well. Post the fact that no negative posts are allowed, or something to that effect.

Shelly Crider

Erica ,
Excellent post to Traci and Erica! Guidelines are great!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment