Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Graded or Ungraded?

Teaching online courses for over a decade, I still struggle with best practices that suggest that students avoid completing learning activities if they are ungraded. What is your experience... graded or ungraded?

I think that is because each student is different, and every few years, the way students learn or what they prefer seems to change in general. Many of my students will not attempt the ungraded items that can help to boost their understanding.

Samantha Eaddy

Sean,
I find that most students want their work graded, otherwise, why do the work is what they will wonder. So if you do have activities that are not graded, give students a WIIFM for doing the work.

Shelly Crider

Samantha,
This is true. Students want to know why they should do the extra work...so let them know!

Shelly Crider

My experience has been similar to what many of you have already described. Students seem to be unmotivated to do ungraded work. To encourage students to complete ungraded work, I try to emphasize to them how important it is to their success in other parts of the course. For example, "completing the practice questions will familiarize you with the type of questions that you will see on the exam."

Karen,
Good point. Who wants to keep working if it might not get graded?

Shelly Crider

I struggle as well. I think students who attend my live seminars do significantly better in the course. I understand why they recently became optional but I really wish they were graded.

Caitlin,
You can always say something in your live seminar and put that on an exam. If a student was listening, they will know the answer.

Shelly Crider

Sean,
I think most students want their work graded.
In fact, if it wasn't graded, I imagine the student would demand the work be graded. That is what I have experienced in the last 10 years.
-Kelly

Kelly,
Students can be demanding, but they do like to see their grades. If you plan on grading at the end of the week, just let students know at the beginning of class when you do grade.

Shelly Crider

I believe that students want their work graded, in my experience if the work is not going to be graded students will be less motivated to do the assignment. They may view the assignment as busy work.

Wanda

Wanda,
We do live in an instant gratification world where students are use to seeing responses quickly.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment