Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I actually went through grad school in a distance education environment. My Professors each dealt with this situation in different ways. Some provided timed tests so that while yes, you could cheat since no one was really watching you, you really didn't have enough time to fully cheat otherwise you wouldn't finish the exam. Others allowed for open book tests but formed the questions in such a way that it would require reflective thought. I actually felt like I learned more from the tests that required reflective thought. Some questions were basic fill in but others were in essay form. Instead of just spitting back memorized information, I was required to try and apply what I learned. Not only did that cut out cheating, it also helped me learn more from the exams.

Carrie,
Excellent idea. I like the essay questions as well. Most people can memorize information, but are they really understanding the information?

Shelly Crider

Considering the idea that a student benefits from the retaking of quizzes as many times "as it take" or to the need of the student to learn all they can.

If the view is for the student to learn one must have goals to teach rather than discern differing levels between students. Teacher v punisher.

However, keeping exams to one shot only preserves the achievement factor opposed to try try again.

discussing topics, questions etc. with other students to "cheat" are answers without understanding happening - not sure that is really possible.

Attitudes have certainly changed.

George,
Attitudes have changed; however, as instructors I would like to think we feel violated when cheating does go on and vindicated when we see the light come on for students who are really tryinbg.

Shelly Crider

They will cheat no matter where they are. Many times they think the online environment is easier to cheat and for the most part it is. With new technolgies coming out it is easier for instructors to also catch it because the papers are electronically submitted where on ground they are usually hard copy.

I think it is easier for a student to cheat online because there is no telling who is sitting in that person's seat doing their work. It is harder for an instructor to catch or prove/disprove if the work is indeed done by the same person or the right person.

Michele,
That is so true! Many students thing that online is simply easier altogether!

Shelly Crider

Patti,
It only hurts the student to get someone else to do their work, but it happens!

Shelly Crider

It' easier to cheat online,but not as easy to catch.
PAHummel DDS

Yes,the same as the concern in traditional classes.Usually people who cheat are actually the losers.As an instructor can do yout best,but
there will still be some who will find away to cheat.
PAHummel DDS

Peter,
With texting around, cheating has been made easier for onine and tradional.

Shelly Crider

I disagree. I think it is important that we know if our students are cheating. It that student is plagiarizing another students work it can become an academic integrity and ethical issue, which may result in expulsion for the student. If a student is cheating they are not learning, in essence they are cheating themselves out of an "earned" degree.

Veronica,
Earning a grade should be very important to every student.

Shelly Crider

Cheating should always be addressed regardless of the class delivery method. Students need to be made aware of the consequences of plagiarism.

In a traditional class, cases of suspected plagiarism are investigated and addressed. The same should be true of online learning.

In fact, it is much easier to find plagiarism in online courses with originality verification tools like TurnItIn.com.

Jessica,
You have to love TurnItIn.com!! I am glad you use that.

Shelly Crider

Good Evening,
While it is true that there will always be situations where cheating or plagarism will occur it does not mean that we should condone or even expect it to be the norm. Cheating/Plagarism is a direct violation of academic honesty and is the basis for any institution's academic honesty policy. It is of ultmost importance that the insitution's academic honesty policy is reviewed during the first contact between the instructor and the students.

Deborah Balentine

Edward,
I agree,I once had a student who would submit their documents in rich text files or powerpoint notes because they knew that the verification software would not recognize these types of files.

Taking a qualitative approach can be relatively easy - although you don't have the face to face interaction with your students after a few assignments their personalities will shine through and spotting plagarized material will be evident.

Deborah Balentine

Deborah ,
Nicely stated. Not only is it a violation of academics, we do not want to condone cheating in any part of life!

Shelly Crider

Cheating should always be a consideration when designing/administering assessments. Although the responsibility ultimately falls on the student, safeguards should be in place to prevent cheating as much as possible to preserve the integrity of the course or delivery system. Without these safeguards students do not achieve the desired outcomes on their own and the reputation of the institution will be compromised.

Joel,
You are so right. There are safeguards available online, such as, ramdomizing questions, answers and even whole tests.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment