Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

active instructor

An active, engaging instructor is very important in an onlilne discussion. If instructor do not be active in the whole discussion, and bring it back on the topic again, it easily changed to a kind of personal chatting between students.

Good point, an active instructor is able to help control and shape discussions. - Jon

It is very important for both the instructor and the visual aids ro be ac tive and engaging. You can tell in persons voice if they are interested or not in the discussion. In my live chat/breeze presentations I often find myself using my hands and mannerisms just like I did when I taught at a ground campus. Keeping the students interested and active in the chat topics helps limit side conversations that are not on topic. I also like to use the chat pods to let them talk amongst themselves on an issue and not have the chance to hear different opinions.

Great thoughts - thanks! - Jon

What is a chat pod?

It is very important for an instructor to be active, engaging and professional in an online course.
One problem however is that some online courses have far too many students to allow a high level of interaction. The best online courses have only 15-20 students max which allows instructors to have a more dynamic interaction experience with students.

Cindy a Chat Pod allows everyone to talk to each other in one place. You can open chat pods for different subject matters and or special group discussions. Normally during a live chat the chat pod has all students in one pod including you with the ability to write messagges(talk).

It is funny that you should say that you use your hands just like you would in a classroom...I do the same thing! I have a terrible habit of "talking with my hands!" But, fortunately, in the "breeze" atmosphere, nobody can see me "frantically" waving my hands around as I speak! :)

I try to be lively and engaging...just as I would in the classroom. If we are "personable" and "helpful," the students will "hear" that we genuinely care about their performance in our classes.

I have to agree with Debra, there is sometimes a tendency for an online school administration to think, since they are not limited by an actual number of desks, that they can pack a virtual classroom with a large number of students. Unfortunately since writing critiques and feedback is so time consuming, the large classroom can often lead a good teacher to feel rushed trying to make sure every one gets plenty of feedback and comments. I sometimes host extra chats for critiquing work as the students love to hear me speak about it as opposed to write, easier to get my meaning across. Smaller classes, online as on the ground, mean more attention can be given to the student. Unless there are TA's or assistant instructors to "fill the gap."

With regards to being lively in the chats. I wholeheartedly agree. I crack jokes, talk with my hands, etc. I use my video camera in my Breeze sessions and my students comment that they really like that they can see me. It's a little like a show. If you keep them entertained, then you can keep them engaged. That helps cut down on multi-tasking and web-surfing during chats. Then they might actually learn. ;-)

I agree; when you have more than 20 or 25 students in an online course, you are not affording them the attention that is required.

Cheryl,

That's possible - more can be done, but it will would depend on the topic and requirements on the faculty.

Jon

Sounds like a great way to manage those sessions! - Jon

Kiarash:

I agree in that an active instructor sets the tone for the course.

An active instructors shows each student that they have a vested interest in their success and overall flow of the course.

An active instructor can also assist by reading (and responding) to posts in which students might be struggling with a current topic.

I think also allowing students the option to talk to an instructor is important as well; especially, if they are struggling in the course.

Kim

Great - thanks for sharing! - Jon

I agree that class size online can greatly impact the instructor's ability to equally engage all students. I teach online and our sections are limited to 20 students. This not only allows me to keep an eye on each individual's activity in our discussion weeks, but also allows me to grade projects and provide in-depth, meaningful feedback in a timely manner.

Larger classes can also be intimidating for students who still have a shyness about posting work online. I've had a few students who posted excellent work, but would prefer a zero over participating in class discussion--taking an "A" student to a "B" or "C." I've been able to identify those students early on and spend time coaxing them into discussions because I wasn't dealing with a large class. I think we owe it to the students to give them that level of attention.

Carolyn,

I agree - great thoughts and perspective.

Thanks,

Jon

I agree with this post. I think it's one of the better insights in the last year is to post my reply to the week's discussion forums. It helps the class get to know me better, see that I am active in the course, and gives me another outlet to teach the content. I also require that the class responds to my post and in the grading, will often make comments that relate to what they posted about.

Good response -it does show that you are active and care. - Jon

I find that when the instructor is enthusiastic about the topic, the students seem to be more interested. I consider my delivery similar to a motivational seminar. You need to exert energy and inspiration during the chats. In order to keep my energy level up, I try to teach a variety of courses so that I am challenged and continually find new resources. I also believe it is important for instructors to have breaks to alleviate burnout. Fresh mind generally equals a fresh outlook. It can be easy to fall into a rut or just continue to use the same old notes to lecture because of time constraints and/or overload. We need to plant the seeds of growth for lifelong learning in ourselves (as faculty) and in our students.

I agree - the instructor really sets the tone of the tone of the class. - Jon

Sign In to comment