Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would like to know how do you track everyones participation in an online environment; I am very interested in knowing this.

I think that it is the same whether you are online or in class. I have heard students say how frustrated they were with their team members in a group project and they are in a class environment with them. I think even in a class environment you would still get complaints about team members who are not contributing fully on their end.

Norma:
There are 'slackers" in both learning environments. And there are slackers in almost every corporate environment. I'll take a wild guess, and I stand corrected on this---there are probably not many slackers in the teaching, nursing, and other medical; professions

Now to your first inquiry. Most Course Delivery Platforms have features that enable you to monitor individual students input in the group's activity. Check the documentation for the Course Delivery Platform you are using. The information you are looking for may be under the heading of Team, Group or similar terms.
Satrohan
Satrohan

In any group project, on line or live class, this is a constant complaint about group projects.

I don not concur that group projects necessarily result in all partners on a group receiving the same grade. I have each member of a group in my group projects submit a report detailing which aspects of the project in which they were involved, how they feel about the final outcome and what they would have liked to do or see done better next time.

I then give two grades, which I average together, one grade is for the overall achievement of the group, the second is for the individual performance within that group. If a video project, for example, has beautiful cinematography but poor editing, the shooter should not be totally penalized for his/her partner's lack of experience.

This strategy seems to work just fine in an online environment and also allows for peer-review.

Chris,

Great point, this type of assessment makes students more comfortable with group work - I've seen it used in graduate classes and for projects that carry a significant portion of a class grade.

Best,

Jon

In the online environment in which I facilitate, I and I alone track each student’s participation in the group projects. It is not mandatory that students participate. If a student wants his/her grade, he/she needs to participate in the group project. However, it does frustrating to students in the group who are participating, when there are students who are not participating. What we as online facilitators should understand about group projects is that some students can not participate as early (or as often) as we would like for them too. I would love it if every one of my online students would participate in the group projects on time. However, some students can not do so until the weekend, for example, because they work all week. This is understandable. We should, however, encourage them to participate as early as possible and hope that they do so.

Laura,
I think that if we try to make it mandatory that students meet for a certain amount of time in the online environment. We should keep in mind that when we hold our live chat sessions/seminars, some students can not make it because they are working or taking care of other responsibilities. I tell my online students: be careful if you try to set up a time to meet with all the group members. Some of them may not be able to make. This is evident, I continue, because of the number of students who attend the live chat sessions/seminars. However, I tell them, please try to meet. But don’t get frustrated if every one does not make it.
Just my two cents!! :-)

I agree making the requirements & conditions of each group member & how a group member is contributing & participating in the group very clear sets a great foundation & clams the nerves of the other group members, thus encouraging participation. Yes I also have found individual grading to be the best solution as well.

Willie,

I agree - this is a consistent problem. I try to ask student to do a small amount of discussion during the week, so other students at least have something to build on.

Best,

Jon

I think we can do several things to help encourage group online participation and success. Post a document instructing the groups on some tips for success, including meeting early, selecting a leader, apportioning and assigning tasks and due dates, and having the leader (or all members) evaluate the contribution of each member privately via email to the instructor. We can also post some instructional and procedural tips to the group discussion board or attend their chats if they choose to organize them. If we monitor the discussion and group activity, we can also email individual members to prod them into logging in and contributing to the group project. We can post announcements and send class emails reminding students that the group activity comprises a significant portion of their grade and cannot be made up for obvious reasons. I think these are some of the steps instructors can take to get greater participation.

Laura, you are right about the same issues occuring in onground courses. I have taught both and feel that students can "hide" in onground groups, letting stronger students carry the team so to speak. In the online environment, instructors and all members can see and measure the contribution and involvement of each member. This allows us to grade variably and not be restricted to assigning the same grade to all group members, a tactic that is not easy with ongroup group projects.

I agree with you, Willie. I encourage students to organize live chats or meetings, but not all can attend. I let them know that the results of the sessions need to be posted and communicated via email and for those who do not attend, their task assignment and due dates are included in the results, minutes or transcript, whatever is available. And this is another great benefit of the online group format, transcripts are provided usually of live chats and all discussion board activity, so all have a firm idea of the value of each member's participation level. As far as responding to those students who feel group assignments are not valuable, I would submit that the real world business environment is replete with the cohort process, including task forces, quality teams, project teams and so many more it is not worth listing. Employees who do not function well in this environment do not do well in the workforce.

Great ideas - thanks for sharing! - Jon

I agree. The issues are the same; it is easier to resolve when you have actual on-ground participation. I have never seen a group project where there were not some sort of participation issues, from not doing their part to trying to do it all because they don't trust the team members.

I think in a lot of ways online is easier, there is an electronic trail of emails and postings. I have students post their work within their group areas and can see who is posting what.

And of course I always have them do a peer evaluation (submitted directly to me).

While it is true that the "real world business environment is replete with the cohort process...", it is also inclusive of "individualistic" job opportunities (i.e., computer programers).

Many of those drawn to on-line courses are not attending simply because of convenience; many prefer minimal group contact or do not thrive in the social context of the group. The real world provides opportunites for these people as well.

Good point - we need to understand why they select this! - Jon

Good example - thanks for sharing! - Jon

Well I think that there are two issues. I see this all the time in classes. One is participation. Some students are active, some never show and some are 11th hour players. Well there are also those who are kind of hangers on.

Wait. That sounds like a regular ground environment. Pretty much the same. Even though you can track behavior online it does not mean that you will get participation.

What you can do is state that the active students won't be penalized due to others actions. Save for perhaps a greater burden. Also, specifically include grading criteria that relates to participation.

The method I use in the online environment is individual grading on student participation and work submitted. I tell the students this up front. True it may not guarantee participation but it gives students a clear choice. What could cause issues with this method is those instructors that give all students in the group the same grade regardless of participation.

I also don't allow 11th hour participation in the online environment. I tell students that group participation must take place two days before the project is due.
The group participation is in the discussion board. There are two parts to my group projects, a group part and an individual part. In the group part you can grade participation. In the individual part, each student has to submit their own paper. There are no group papers, that is one paper from the whole group, in my group projects.
Some instructors allow group papers. It is wrong because this is where the slackers are and other group members will protect them.

Sign In to comment