Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Discussions used in Group project interaction

As an instructor one of the problems I encounter is students not interacting together appropriately in group projects in a traditional classroom. Students miss the concept of working as a group in a classroom setting. On-line courses force students to interact within a group to accomplish the project.
You will have students who in a regular classroom setting would not be forth coming with ideas and interact, because they feel dominated by students who are more vocal.
Discussion boards give students an even playing field when presenting their ideas for the project and discussing with their groups.

Rhonda:
Low levels of student participation in group projects have also been observed in online group projects; perhaps not to the degree you have observed in your classrooms. You are quite right that the use of Discussion forums as an even playing field does result in higher levels of participation. The only deterrent for Discussion forums is if students have nay hang-ups about their written communication skills.
Satrohan

Satrohan,
That could be true about students who have poor written skills not communicating in the dicussions due to that; in discussion groups you will have individuals whos' primary language is not english and as long as they are performing and interacting in the discussions, students who may have difficult in the written communication may not be as intimedated.

Rhonda:
This is quite possible. I have seen students who have graduated from programs and still lack what one could classify as proficient oral as well as written communication skills.
Satrohan

In a classroom setting, I have seen the "group" hover around the person who is not pulling their weight, and drag them to work. Something about a gang presentation that forces the non cooperative student to perform! :) I would worry about a person who is obviously not pulling their weight to feel the same sense of "guilt to service" if they are not confronted face to face.

Sonia:
Face-to-face discussions should be the first resort if the students are in your locale.
Satrohan

No one cared about the written communications skills when I had previous online discussion forums. Everyone was able to get their point across. professor made the questions or topics very interesting, which encourage participants to post their thoughts on the subject. Everyone enjoyed the interaction.

Lynnette:
Thank you for sharing your successful expreience in participating in Discussion forums. We have found that some sutdents whose first language is not English were not that successful in geting their ideas across.
Satrohan

In the on-line room students don't have to feel as if one student is too wordy. They are give equal opportunities to state their opinion. The computer is going to process their opinion no matter how long it takes them to type it in.

LaTisha:
Quite true if you are referring to asynchronous Chat environments.
Satrohan

Its difficult to learn new disciplines regarding this issue. Perhaps some remedial work is necesssary

Robert:
Please elaborate on both statements you have made so that I can identify the position you are taking. More precisely state the issue to which you refer in the first statement so that I can discern why remedial work would be necessary.
Satrohan

I just received the information - thank you. I believe I was responding to those situations where the student displayed poor written and oral skills. I do respect your statement regarding those who have passed courses who were deficient in these areas; however, our position is that we want our students to reasonable excel in these areas. The following are steps we have taken to accomplish this:

1. Find someone in his/her shpere of influence who can help in these areas
2. Remedial education in areas of weakness
3. Staff to your weakness
4. Solicit competent proofreaders/editors

The online environment creates the level playing field. Students are able to think about and forumulate their thoughts prior to submitting their responses to the discussion questions. Students also encourage participation from each other by asking questions, providing knowledge, and giving personal examples.

Sign In to comment