Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping students engaged

As an online instructor I believe it is critical to my students' success that they remain engaged in the course for the duration of the course. It is very easy to lose interest in a course or find reasons not to "attend" when the course is virtual and attendance is not required in a physical classroom. I try to keep my students engaged by posting announcements regularly with catchy phrases and interesting information regarding the topic we are currently discussing. I also make sure my students know I am available for questions and encourage them to reach out often so I can assist them.

I could not agree more. I try to keep my live chat sessions lively and interesting, while remaining on topic. I have found that this results in a higher rate of attendance for my live chat sessions.

I also agree. I too try my hardest to keep students attention. I mainly show and share my own personal experiences but also find others to share. I like to share links to articles, blog postings and video that pertain to the overall class in hoping it excites the students to see what is in store for them.

The problem is no matter how much I post or share with the students, they seem disengaged and only do a bare minimum for Discussion Boards and do not attend the Live Chats. This can be discouraging to me.

I to encourage student to contact me with any questions yet none do. I mention it during the Live Chats, Discussion Boards and at the end of every email.

Traci,
It is easy to become distracted. Posting announcements and hyperlinks to interesting cites....will keep them logging in!

Shelly Crider

Sarrah,
We have all been in a classroom or a meeting when all you can think about is when it will be over. Thank you for being lively!!

Shelly Crider

Chad,
I am a firm believer in personal experiences. This is a great way to show the student what goes on in the work force.

Shelly Crider

One thing I've found seems to help keep students engaged is creating challenges or contests that go along with the assignments. Typically I use this to encourage extra effort from the students and they gain the benefit of extra reinforcement of the materials.

For example in a class that focuses on using javascript to draw i add challenges such as creating a comic strip or drawing a known monument that are optional stretch goals for the assignments.

Great Ideas!

I'm preparing to teach for the first time and I simply love your ideas. As a Graphic Design instructor I think its really important to keep students inspired.

Thanks for posting I plan to use these ideas and put my own spin on them.

Daniel,
Stretch goals are excellent! There are students who will do just the bare minimum, but there are others who need the extra challenge. Great job.

Shelly Crider

Tonya,
Inspiration goes a long way....be someone's inspiration!

Shelly Crider

Live chat session should be not only engaging, interesting, but also inviting. Demonstrating software or a scripting language may require little extra work on the instructor part, as there are usually no students to ask questions, but at the end is all worth the effort.

Blanka,
Scripting does take time, but well worth it in the end....I have to agree with you on that!

Shelly Crider

Daniel,

I am so glad I cam across your comment! What a clever idea. This is a method that commonly works well via "in person" setting. I am happy to hear it has had the same positive reaction online.

Erica ,
Positive reaction has an awesome effect on learning!

Shelly Crider

I agree it is a challenge. I also post daily announcements, but the disengaged student often doesn't read them. I will check the last date of their activity in the classroom and if it is more than 2 days I will call them. Additionally, 2 days before the end of each week I will call (in addition to an email) if less than 50% of their work for the week is missing.

Dean ,
Students tend to reply to text more readily for me. You might keep that tip handy.

Shelly Crider

I agree Shelly, I have the best results of contacting students via text message. They tend to prefer that method of communication. In fact, some days it's the only way to communicate with the teens in my house, so I have gotten used to it with my students. I have had two students texting me this afternoon regarding questions on their assignments, which is being proactive, since they are not due until this weekend.

Diana

Diana,
It is funny how students will respond. I receive a lot of text messages from students who need help!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment