Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Constructing an Online Course can be daunting

What have you learned about online course construction that allow you to apply these techniques to the real world? There are many approaches to developing content for e-learning. Many institutions require a set format to be followed. In others, the target for completion of an approvable course keeps shifting. How does one navigate the complexities of creating an online course with the proper look, feel and comprehensible content that makes for a successful learning experience? Share your thoughts...

Robert,

The trick is the definition or requirements of the course. In some cases, it is pretty straight-forward in terms of expectations. In other cases, the designs are very technical and complex - know what you are getting into and what kind of help you will have ....

Jon

I tend to look at a mix of tasks and assignments as well as a mix of delivery formats. I use online lectures, guest lectures via webex, and real time research by sharing my desktop while "doing" research with the students. This term i will also give over control of the online lectures to students and add podcasts to enable "sound bites" to illlustrate key points.

Usually for every online course there is a actual course taught at the school you are representing. I look at what is being taught in the "brick and mortar" class and equate the content to the online class. Of course one has to realize that class content does change when industry standards change.

I'm planning to give presentations or videos with audio in order to get the information across. Assessment of student learning is my major roadblock. It's difficult to predict how going from a physical classroom to online will impact the learning of the material for this particular course. I am open to any creative ideas and hope to gain a lot from this course.

There is no set format to be followed within the institution. I know that's a good thing but it makes the job of building the course more difficult.

Jon,

You are quite right about the requirements guiding the course structure. In the technical courses I've taught on-ground the objectives are perfectly clear to me, but how to design engaging learning activities that lead the student to discovery of abstractions is indeed the harder part in my mind. You don't have those glazed over faces or perky smiles from the students to give you the needed feedback to make the on-the-spot corrections to your presentation of concepts.

One important thing to remember when creating an online course is to set a positive, friendly tone in your writing. The tone for the course is set in your introduction to your class.

Along with your policies. Good point.

I am reliant upon the interaction with the students in the classroom. I will need to rely on my knowledge of good teaching strategies. In order to get feedback from the students I will need to phrase questions that test their comprehension. This will be a good test of my ability to listen to students by reading their responses.

Claudia,
Students love feedback and a lot of it! Thank you for doing so.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment