Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Assessments

I am currently going through my doctoral degree program and have two classes left. My interest is in curriculum design as well as, creating online assessments for both student and instructor.

It is easy to create assessments for on-ground but could use some ideas for the online environment.

Terry

Terry,

Really what you are looking for is a way to test what should be learned. In most cases you can use many on-ground assessment types (although I prefer projects & papers online).

Jon

Terry, I found that students also appreciate grading rubrics that break down the key points that should be included in the assignments with the weight distribution of points included. I have used powerpoints, brochures, tests, and papers as assessment measures.

great point - thanks for sharing! JO

In addition to teaching online university courses, I also have the opportunity to teach in the public high school. Our district has recently issued iPod Touches to every student and incorporated a virtual classroom into each course. One of the great features of our VC is a development tool for online assessment. In addition, I'm investigating the Apple SDK that would let me develop my own assessment tools for the iPod Touch.

As prone as I am to incorporating technology into the modern classroom, I am also committed to preserving the rigor and discipline that pen/paper assessments deliver.

Jill:

I agree and think that grading rubrics are an essential part of the learning process.

My goal is to create more rubrics to help break down what is being graded.

Kim

David,

Wow - that sounds like I a great technology addition!

Jon

Kim,

This is critical, it helps guide the student in their work, and ensure grading is consistent!

Jon

Kim

I agree with you and Jill. In fact, rubrics are an important part of any learning environment.

Rubrics can be an asset in any classroom, but I believe they are even more valuable in the online environment because students do not have as much of an opportunity to interact with instructors and classmates. The abillity to ask questions about an assignment is not as easy or spontaneous online, so those questions may go unasked. Rubrics can help to fill any gaps that might occur.

Becky

Becky,

Great points! Rubrics are also beneficial since you may be grading work over time, not all at once (consistency).

Best,

Jon

I have only taught hybrid classes so far but have enjoyed exploring the online resources our texts have available. This quarter the students would take the chapter assessments and email me the results. It seems like there are still many more interactive opportunities developing that utilize technologies like smart phones etc. allowing students even greater learning flexibility. I look forward to learning more about these tools in upcoming classes.

I do agree that grading rubrics are a great way to tell students what you are looking for and they help you grade objectively across the board.
I think taking an online quiz, though, allows the learned to go back and look at notes and really just click on answers the course content told them should be correct. In an online environment, I find the most powerful assessments allow the student to connect content with experience.
I think a practical and effective assessment would be in the form of an essay question or even discussion board post,where students are asked a content question, but asked to contextualize their response. Guess that would depend on the course content, as this might not work as well for a science or math class, but components of it could certainly be adopted.

Natalie,
A nice essay question can let the instructor see if the student grasp the concept and help with written communication.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment