Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping up with technology

The main reason I am taking this course is simple; I am a big believer that education must continue to evolve in order that our graduates, specifically online graduates, can compete in the constantly changing technological world we live in.

GONE are the days where you could teach a programming language more than 5 years. GONE are the days when you can assume any technology you teach will last more than 3 years at the max.

And to do otherwise is simply this... laziness.

And what happens when we don't move forward and adapt to the constantly growing and shifting technologies? We lose students and eventually lose our jobs.

So while this may seem a bit like a rant, I assure you, it is an open discussion to help others see the NEED to grow and develop not only personally, but as a team, as a school, and as a company.

Great thoughts - thanks for sharing! - Jon

You are so right on this. I teach IT and CS courses, to all age groups. I am teaching high school students who have grown up with computers, video games and iPods in front of them. They are often very knowledgeable about the technology, are hosting their own web sites, etc. I am constantly looking for ways to "keep up" with them and keep them interested.

I find it very challenging to keep up with the constant changes. I also remind them it is not always necessary to change just because there is something new out there.

Good example - thanks for sharing! - Jon

Keeping up with technology is not only a full time job, it is necessary to find it enjoyable.

I can't believe how often I wonder "huh? What are they talking about?" and I have to google some new technology to keep up with them.

... and its also hard to figure out which ones might be useful in education.

Jon

I definitely agree that we need to keep up with technology! These students rely on technology so much and if we do not "adapt" to their needs, we will lose them!

Tanya Vanderlinde

I 100% agree with this statement.

I find, at times, it can be frustrating to teach an online course in which students are not adept to the technological changes that take place.

I find, at times, that I am teaching computer basics, rather than actual course content.

I am finding ways to "bridge the gap" by adding additional components to the course that will help with the technical challenges.

I agree that we need to stay "ahead of the curve" to foster a conducive online learning environment.

Tanya,

Great point - and its amazing how quickly it moves!

Jon

Great points - thanks for sharing! - Jon

I suspect that some schools are still teaching C/C++, and have done so for more than five years. Schools have taught Java for at least five years. Microsoft Office will be good for more than three years.

Even if businesses want employees with new skills, they still require employees who have the old skills as well.

Great points - thanks for sharing! - Jon

I agree Jon. It is tough and expensive to keep up with technology in the classroom. Luckily, my husband is a tech geek and he provides lessons to me often and also keeps me informed of "the latest cool techno..."

I found that using all methods of facilitation are necessary and one cannot lean on technology too much. Interesting enough, many students claim they like paper, pens, and hand drawn diagrams because it’s a break from technology.

Furthermore, if you use new technology in the classroom make sure to practice before introducing it to the students because they often get frustrated and/or bored when an instructor takes too long or cannot deal with obstacles quickly. In closing, I often hear students complain about the lack of the instructors’ personality when using technology.

Sign In to comment