Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Course

If allowed in the online dashboard incorporate media to engage students and encourage retention

I think having that media as an option would be the way to go. Not all students learn through the same methods so incorporating different tools can be helpful to broader success and retention rates.

John,

I agree, its best to hit multiple learning styles if you can.

Jon

Jon,

I believe that distance education naturally guides the student towards multiple learning styles. A student interacts with the computer, reads the material, maneuvers around the virtual classroom, performs research, and often times has the opportunity to view and listen to videos, vignettes, FLASH, etc.

Mary

Mary,

I agree - I just think you need to work a little harder to address auditory learners online.

Thanks,

Jon

I believe that in both online and traditional environments, students need multiple types of media to effectively learn. The world today is such a fast paced environment that many students do better learning with video, audio and other interactive medias.

I also believer in both online as well as traditional.

Students can gain so much more from a hybrid environment.

Thank you,
Davis

There are some students who are very confident in the online platform, but having hybrid classes for returning or first time students is a nice element.

Hi Davis,

I am a product of the brick and mortar traditional setting, hybrid, and online class settings. As a person born in the sixties of course throughout my elementary and secondary years of school I experienced the traditional type setting as well as with my Associates and Bachelor's pursuits. During my Master's pursuit I was a student of hybrid environment where I participated in a program called FlexNet where you sat in class for two weeks and was online the remaining four. During my Post Master's pursuit it was 100% online. By nature I am a visual learner but as an adult student of the technology age I had to adjust to the online environment. I found the flexibility to be a wonderful asset however having to post a number of times throughout the week became laborious and tedious but now that I look back on my experience I treasure that technique because it reinforced what I had to learn for the class. As an instructor now myself I teach in the traditional setting and I would like to be qualified to teach in an online class environment some day and therefore the reason I am taking this course. I say all of that to say I truly benefitted from both worlds of the two learning environments and in my personal opinion it is a mind over matter situation.

Thanks,
Mark

Nicely stated Mark...both "worlds" have pros and cons.

Sign In to comment