Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Converting a Lab-Oriented Camera-Based Class to the Online Environment

I teach largely hands-on skills in a laboratory environment (like operating a video camera and lighting in the film style). These skill sets require substantial hands-on experience and seem difficult to translate into a realistic or high-quality online curriculum. I am interested in exploring my options, but wonder how to account for all of the different variables that my students might encounter, like various cameras with which to practice the demonstrated techniques and/or the differences between lighting equipment that the home classroom audience might encounter.

Chris,

Great questions. I might be that this type of curriculum would work with either 1) a hybrid online and campus program or 2) online with some high quality simulations.

Best,

Jon

Hi Chris,

I agree with John. Given that you have a significant hands-on portion in your course, a blended or hybrid approach is one to consider.

Much of what I teach is lab and/or clinical skills which must be done at school where I can observe the student. However, the lecture and many activities can be done by the student at home.

It really is the best of both worlds.

Bonnie

Bonnie

Sign In to comment