Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have taken courses online and would suggest answering the following questions when enrolling students for online courses:

1) What type of computer and software do I need?
2) How do I access the online environment? Do I need any training?
3) Should I have questions about the technology, who should I contact?
4) Do I get an orientation to the online environment so I can become familiar with it?
5) What if I mess up?
6) Since the instructor is not physically there, what do I do?
7) How do I know what is expected in the course?
8) Since I don't turn in a hard copy of my work, where does it go?
9) What if I need help with an assignment, who can I talk too?
9) What if I simply can't do this, who can I talk too?

Taking an online course can be overwhelming and intimidating. The solution is to let the students know how the online course works, and to let them they have a support system on line and on ground.

Charlotte:
These are all valid questions someone new to online learning are likely to ask themselves. Answers to these questions must be provided---some in the Course Description; others in the Course Syllabus, and some can be repeated at strategic points throughout the course.
Satrohan

Furthermore, adding to Robert Thomson's list of facilitator/ mentor qualities - the facilitator needs to be "present" in the classroom. A facilitator exhibiting the qualities listed will create an enriched learning environment for all (both the student and the facilitator).

Thanks Charlotte for the additional contribution. Online Instructors must be able to maintain their presence in the online classroom. The number of hours they may have to invest can vary.

Please share with us the number of hours you believe an Instructor must devote on a daily basis, whether they should be consecutive hours, or time dispersed across the day.
Satrohan

Satrohan,
The number of hours in which an Instructor is online could from one to five depending on the activities for that day. Simply answering questions would mean a shorter period of time versus downloading and grading assignments would mean more time is required to be online.

At a minimum, I think it is important for an Instructor to check his/ her classrooms at least two times a day.

Charlotte:
This is not an easy question to answer; however, you have mentioned some of the vatiants that may influence the number of hours. I would suspect for a batch of 20 active students, the number of hours can easily approach five per day.
Satrohan

I totally agree, it would be great to have a preparation class to see if students have the capacity to manage technology, there are many people out there that still learning about computers

Miguel:
Please clarify your response fo me. Are you referring to a tutorial or an entry-level skills test?
Satrohan

Very Helpful list. Our school is looking to offer online in the future and your list is a great starting point .

While talking to our students about plans to add online synchronized training, we are finding that the home environment may play a key component. Some students have voiced a concern about having a 'quiet' place to access the classroom. If their computer is in the kitchen and they have small children, success of synch training may be doubtful.

Greg:
This is a valid point. I must admit that I have not given much thought the "quiet place" factor. I assumed that once they have "quiet place" to study; they will have the same place to participate in Chat sessions; however, I overlooked the fact that they now have to take the Chat schedule into consideration as they schedule time for that "quiet place".
Satrohan

I have taken many IT certifications. I have had the opportunity to take a pre-test on some of the general topics to see if I had the knowledge to prepare for the certification.

Technology intergration is exciting with the saturation of phone web browers. The ability to educate on the phone, makes this training more viable and comprehensive.

Agreed - this will be very exciting!

Jon

I believe that all students should be required to complete an online orientation. REQUIRED! When I completed my online MBA we were required to do this to learn how to post, navigate and communicate before we were allowed to take our first course. I find that some of my online students do not even know how to login to the course.

First, students should be intellectually prepared. Entrance requirements, SAT scores, GED's HS grades, etc. are indicators of preparation. Some schools may have further testing to determine where to place students in the program.

Second, students need to have the proper equipment and software to access and complete courses successfully.

Third, students should have enough technical proficiency to be able to access chats, assignments,and research, write and upload their papers.

The School can help in each of those areas. They can provide information on system and software requirements at orientation. And, they can provide training programs on the use of the schools platform and any software the student will be expected to use.

Every institution should require every student to complete an online orientation, regardless if they plan on taking any online courses. A lot of students fear online courses and are therefore hesitant to enroll in one. After taking the orientation, many students realize it's not as intimidating as they initial though and recognize it can be a better platinum for them to learn.

Well said! An orientation is an excellent way to ease students into the online platform.

Sign In to comment