Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Linear Approach

I believe that your design of an online course should be in a linear approach. I believe that laying out the tasks by week or module is much more effective than trying to get your students to jump around the course.

Walter

Walter van Poollen
10-10-12

Walter,
Jumping around can lead to confusion on both the student's end and the instructor.

Shelly Crider

Walter:
by the instructor designing the online course and posting the expectations it does help the student stay focus on what is the task at hand, because there are times when the student can become distracted by life's situations, so I agree with your statement.

The program, that I am an instructor, has a linear approach. The terms are in this order PCT 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, and 160. New students can enter in all terms. You do not need to wait for 110 to come back around to start unless the student failed a term. Some concepts in one term are brought and introduced in the next term for example if vital signs are introduced in 110 and then orthostatic vitals are introduced in 120, the new students that start in 120 will need to be taught how to vital signs before they can do orthostatic vital signs along with the students that have already learned to do vital signs.

Stephanie,
I like that model. It makes sense! I believe it also helps students become more organized.

Shelly Crider

What about a cyclical approach? Where I teach during the day, students must take about 5 introductory classes ending with Anatomy and Physiology before continuing with classes that directly pertain to their major. This method allows new students to enter the cycle at various points.

Troy,
Love this approach! You are involving students throughout the day as well!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment