Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Finding visuals for classes

I am wondering where people find videos and visuals for their courses. My husband teaches high school and was told he can use anything out there freely in his classes. It is my understanding in the for profit world we are not allowed to do so, but there are so many great things on you tube for example. I am curious where others obtain valuable information for the students?

I have also heard of people using visuals off youtube. As for the school that I work for we have support from the company that creates our text books. They actually provide us with some visual material to present during our classes. That really makes it easy and very accessible to us. I also know for a fact that some students are visual learners so the more material that you can present to them in visual form, the more they are actually learning.

If you use items from the internet, give proper credit for the item. I can say I was told we can use them freely for demonstration purposes, but I always give credit.

well, I read about UTube and copywrite from this URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube

but I am not sure of the actual answer. I think it is OK to use because you have to go to their website. You can't copy and past.

Susan

I have wondered about that for a while. I borrow things from the SHRM website frequently, but always give credit as to where the articles come from. Certain documents say they are copywrighted and I do not use those.

Great topic discussion. There are alot of great informational You Tube videos. I have used some of the videos in the past but was told that because it is not known whether it is legal to do so for for-profit education that we couldn't use them anymore.

Use them as a resource, but not an assignment.

I have used you tube videos for several of my classes. For the first class I usually post a link to a funny you tube video related to the topic in that unit, the students usually find it entertaining. For the subsequent classes I have used a news link related to a topic that was discussed during that chat session. My favorite you tube videos are the tutorial videos that show an in depth explanation of how to do something. My students relate to these videos and seem to enjoy watching them.

Becky,
Love YouTube! It is a good way to teach students how to research. Nice job!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment