Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Course creation

I have found that, for me, creating a course that appeals to students as well as helping them learn is really an ongoing process.

I create a base file that I believe will work, and every session I add to it, or take things out that didn't work.

I have also felt that, for a creative based classroom, giving live feedback on the previous "rock stars" in the group during a Live Chat helps foster discussion and tremendously boosts the drive of all students, because soon EVERYONE wants to show off their own skills and be critiqued.

You would need to be careful of the stuff you take out. Because what did not work for this class it may work for another.

Michael,

Good points, always improving will keep the class fresh and makes sure the quality only improves.

Jon

Good points - I agree, you may want to re-purpose prior work! - Jon

I think it is an ongoing process as well. No matter how much you plan and analyze once it is implemented the actual users with think of ways to tweek the approach.

Great points - thanks for sharing! - Jon

I agree that every course section can vary based on differing student experiences, knowledge, perceptions, etc.
Writing curriculum is an ongoing process. I continually try to add new content to the courses; however, the course objectives remain the same. Changing/revising the individual tasks does not change the learning outcomes. Creativity is key!
I think a challenge to writing curriculum online is the share factor. If course content is used too long, the answers are posted on the internet.

Clarine,

Good point on sharing - it is important to rotate exams.

Jon

How true! I'm always amazed at how the dynamics can change from one class to another. What works for one group of students may not work as well for your next class. I started noticing this while teaching in a resident program. I'm surprised how I see the same thing in the online environment as well.

Karen,

Interesting - yes, formats (like hybrid classes) really make a difference in what tools work best.

Jon

I have served on a committee where we created an online platform from existing on-ground courses. This is a constant change, reevlauate, and change process. I have found that when creating an online course, you must be flexible in order to get the course created just right.

Adib Shakir

Adib,

Great point on flexibility and change. In my experience, an online course is never really "done". (And that's a good thing)

Jon

I agree, your online course should evolve the same way society evolves. Students needs change overtime.

Absolutely!

Creating a course that appeals to students the best way to di it. Get the Studenes engaged and interested and make it exciting.
Exciting!!!! Exciting!!!! Exciting!!!

With honesty and integrity.......

Sign In to comment