Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

evaluation

Being at home or away from a watching eye,the online evaluation seems couldn't evaluate precisely the leaning. Students could easily use different refrences to get help to answer the questions.

I agree, that may be a good reason to use more writing and project assessments online. - Jon

We write assignments that are intended to evaluate if skills have been achieved. We decide of rubrics for each part of an assignment.

Jack,

Rubrics are great, they also make grading easier and more consistent.

Best,

Jon

I agree,
It is also easy for and user with a moderate amount of technical savvy to have the information necessary to pass the test at their fingertips. Something akin to an open book test. This is something that should be considered when constructing testing methods that show true absorption of knowledge as opposed to short term memorized knowledge.

This has been a great discussion. I also think that written projects and assignments that require critical thinking skills do much more to measure how well the concepts are being absorbed. Rubrics are really the way to go - they protect the student and the instructor rather than just making vague judgments about work submitted.

Great points - thanks, Jon

By referencing additional information isn't the student actually learning more?

Written projects and assignments allow us as instructors to gauge what students are absorbing from their learning experience. Adding visuals is great, since I myself am a visual learner. However, you still need to be able to assess what students are learning.

Rubrics are a great tool

I second rubrics! - Jon

good tests will show what teh student knows; it is important to ensure this.

I believe evaluatuion requires imput from students. we must look at their comments, sugestions and questions. Statistics need to be developed and action taken

I agree. We cannot create better classes if we do not accept critiques.

I agree with you Kiarash. My hope is they would not do so because they would be cheating themselves.

Sign In to comment