Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor and computer programer

Do the instructor and computer programer have to work together?

Anatoliy:
Please provide a content fo your question so that I can compose an intelligent answer.
Satrohan

my qestion is that how much computer programing skills do I need in order to teach online courses or design a course on line?

Anatoliy:
You do not require computer programming skills to teach in an online environment. Your level of computer literacy must enable you to deliver the course in an online environment; so you will rquire knowledge of the functionalities of Course Delivery Platform. You will require programming skills if you will be uploading the course content into the Course Delivery Platform. All Instructors with whom I work are members of a development team. They create the content, Media Developers create the media elements, and HTML programmers upload the content into the Course Delivery Platform.
Satrohan

I think the instructor and programmer should definitely work together in order to have a successful on line course. Taking under consideration that a lot of people don’t know how to navigate on line, it should be easy to understand and to follow. Students should be able to access information without confusion and that takes team work between the instructor and the programmer

Dario:
Please elaborate on how the talents of the Instructor will complement those fo the Programmer as they wrok towards the design and development of an online course.
Satrohan

The work of the programmer is being performed up front in off-the-shelf programs (i.e., camtasia, etc) that utilize technology in an easy to use format. Instructors today are being asked to learn specific programs.

Greg:
Let's assume that we are not dealing with off-the-shelf programs; and that we are dealing with developing an online course from scratch. What contributions do you see the programmer making? What contributions do you see the Instructor making? And at which stage of the development?
Satrohan

In my experience, a specific instructor and a specific programmer almost never work together in the creation of any online course. Programmers have a general idea of what almost all instructors want in a certain course and they design the electronic environment accordingly. They make changes as they receive feedback from instructors. Basically, a programmer usually has no knowledge of teaching and/or the content area for which an online course is being designed, just as a teacher has no idea what t ypes of hardware and software limitations and resources affect the programmer.

Nandan:
Your experience is somewhat unique. I have not encountered programmers who have adequate knowledge of how online design and development strategies to the extent that they can implement the course in an online environment. The Instructor has to storyboard the learning events before they can "upload" the content into the course delivery platform in an appropriate manner. While a specific Instructor may not be teamed with a specific programmer, my experience has been that a team environment is more effective and efficient.
Satrohan

I believe that in order to teach online, an instructor must embrace technolgy and take steps to learn the capabilities and limitations of the platform that they will be teaching their online classes in. They must also take the time to learn how to upload and retrieve files within their specific platforms, how to formate and work with electronic documents that will be posted online, how to prepare evaluation tools that can be used online (in other words, create electronic documents/rubrics that can be filled in electronically so they can be sent back electronically to students), learn how to use the track-changes and notes features for Word Documents so you can provide input on any papers students submit, how to use the electronic grade book and testing features that the online platform may support, etc.

Schools offering online courses need to provide training such as above to all it's instructors, regardless if an instructor teaches online courses or not, because often times traditional courses have the online portal tool available to them to use as an enhancement to a course. Online class tools are a great way to post student grades so they can track their own progress in their classes, even if the class is not an online one for them.

A tall list, Kathleen------one that can be intimidating for Instructors who are not to that level of competence. Neverthless, the list of competencies, particularly those related to the Course Delivery Platform is a "must have"; so institutions should develop those skills in their instructors in the most practical and convenient way.
Satrohan

I agree. Instructors in many vocational areas are hard to find. Not only do instructors need to be educated and have experience in a particular field, know how to present a lecture, assist in a lab, grade assignments, but also they need to know how to manage a class! Then to add technical competence (unless they are interested in learning this) would make the pool even smaller.

Sheri

Thank you Sheri, for sharing this situation with us. Personally, i believe that unless an institution is willing to offer adequate compensation for additional duties, they should avoid making additional demands on Instructors.
Satrohan

I feel instructors of an online teaching enviroment, at a minimum, should be able to navigate the online program being used. This is impariative so they can help students troubleshoot navigational issues. If the instructors are unable to use the program, how can we expect our students to use it?

What if we throw YouTube into the instruction design? What skills are important to make an effective presentation ?
t

I do not believe one needs the skills of a programer; however, I do believe that one should posses competent computer skills in order to help those who are less skilled in computer navigation.

Byron,

Good points - thanks for sharing!

Jon

Hopefully the instructor as some computer skills and can provide input to the developer.

I don't believe you need computer programming skills. You do need to be technology savvy. You should be comfortable with the platform used (eCollege, BlackBoard, etc.) You should also be aware of how to use, create, or integrate multimedia course materials. Otherwise, you will have a tendency to use textbook reading only and not create an engaging course.

Sign In to comment