Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The importance of including a complete and comprehensive syllabus

I feel it is critically important that students are given a clear, complete, and comprehensive syllabus for each online course. Online students are often busy with families, jobs, and other personal obligations. The more prepared they are as to the expectations of the course the more likely they are to succeed. Feedback should also always be encourage regarding the syllabus or any issues that arise during the duration of the course.

HI Traci,
I agree that students are given a clear, complete and comprehensive syllabus. Because they are given 'early' admission into the class, they should take advantage of that time to review the syllabus and to get familiar with the what is about to take place and the expectations the school and I have for them.

Traci,
This will allow students to become more organized and help them with time management.

Shelly Crider

I am new to all of this & am wondering how hard it is to add a Feedback tab to each "page" (including the syllabus) for instant feedback?

Cynthia,
Not too bad really, but I have found that students like that human touch and not just automatic feedback. They like to hear "good job on the paragraph about human remains Joe" or something that they know you have looked and admired their paper. Never thought about the syllabus!

Shelly Crider

Traci,

I totally agree with your post. I sometimes find it hard to get them to read the information in the syllabus. What I have done in the past was post information in the announcement section or news forum highlighting the important facts. This was done with a few bullets points. Something to peak their interest and get them to go and review the information.

Sign In to comment