Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Graded or Ungraded Online Chats?

I find ungraded online chats to be a bit burdensome on the instructor. Speaking from experience, it is common that the vast majority of students don't attend a live chat unless it is graded. What is your experience?

Sean,
I have had graded and ungraded and students simply do not want to chat!! BUT if I have a fairly good topic or a guest speaker, they will tend to show up more.

Shelly Crider

I would love to have more students show up as well. After all, nothing is more demoralizing then holding a class session where no one attends (talking to myself, or my computer, in the basement)—simply so that it is recorded and in the archives for those students who need to reference it later.
I go back and forth on whether or not these sessions should be graded, or have some point value attached to them. However, the difficulty here is that that seems to run counter to the whole notion or philosophy of distance learning. We can’t tell someone one of the benefits of taking a class online is that they can do the work “when they can do it,” but then penalize them for not being able to make it to a scheduled session.
Sometimes having a question during the session that students can get points for is useful. That way whether a student visits the session in the archives or can attend live, you at least know that they are getting that content. One way or another!
Best,
Mica

mica,
When students do show up, they wonder why they are there as there are usually only a handful with them, but make them feel important. You can always add a test question that only those who showed up to the discussion would know!

Shelly Crider

Ungraded live chats at times may not get as big audience as if they would be grated, but if they are recorded, the students have an opportunity to watch when they have allocated time without interruption from outside sources.

Blanka,
This is a good point. When a student has to be on a live chat with a crying baby in the background, how much information will they pick up?

Shelly Crider

this is an interesting conundrum...while dragging the masses to the chat so they can check a box and get a participation grade seems overbearing - it is much like on-site classes where students don't show up for class. Some come just to check the box and get the grade for participation (they were there even if they never speak).
These sessions must be graded and I like the idea of including an exam question from the discussion.

Peter,
I, too, like questions from the discussion on an assessment!

Shelly Crider

Students should be accountable. If they choose not to attend a chat session and can watch it later, that's fine (and one of the advantages of online learning - do it on your own time). I also like the idea of including an assessment question from the discussion. This "encourages" attendance or later viewing of the chat.

Douglas,
Excellent post! There are times when a student cannot simply make it to a chat due to work.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment