Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online instructor Office hour

This is important , because students assume that Faciliators or online instructors are available all the time . Don't you think so?

Anatoliy:
As a student, if I am told that I can work on my online course at any time, then I am likely to expect to have support at any time; hence, it is important to inform students upfront of the Instructor's virtual office hours.
Satrohan

That is exactly what I was thinking. An online instructor shoul be available more that class based couses, That's what I believe.

The was something that came up with my office/online hours. I let the students know of my online hours and my email response time. I was very upfront about this at the beginning and it has worked nicely. If you give them set hours you will be in class and online, then they know when they can reach you.

I feel sometimes that if I am repetative enough, they understand that I am not online 24/7! :)

Jen:
Some students may try to stretch the limits with the aim of making Instructors adjust to their individual schedules. Sticking to your virtual office hours, and posting reminders of your virtual office hours will eventually convince them that you are not as flexible as they might think when it comes to your availability.
Satrohan

Office hours are a very important necessity. If any of you have on-campus experience you know the validity in this statement. When we think of the virtual world we conjure up images of immediate availability and instant contact but what we forget to see is the frequency of the user whom we are contacting. Everyone has had times where they cannot get to their email for a half a day or a day and when we go to open the inbox there are numerous messages. If we state that we will be online at a set time and we commit to those times the students can help arrange their schedules around ours or even be aware of a possible response time to their submissions.

Himesh;
Maintaining scheduled virtual office hours is the key---your last sentence. Instructors who are unable to keep the scheduled time should post advance notice; or have someone do so on theri behalf.

The whole concept of immediate availability and instant contact is a false exppectation. we have to set the right expectations upfront in the course.
Satrohan

This is very important. Students have to understand that instructors have a life outside of the classroom, virtual or otherwise. I have students email me late on Sunday then complain when they don't get an immediate answer. I tell them I am diligent about checking email, but do not guarantee I will get to it every day.

I find the unrealistic expectations common in the Intro courses. Posting your email response times and clearly stating your office hours availability does help but it is important to know that there will always be those students that don't recognize boundaries and cannot understand why you cannot be avialable 24/7. For these students it is important to change their perceptions back to a more realistic way of thinking and understand that their unrealistic expectations are a cause of some type of fear or other personal factor they are experiencing.

Rhonda,

I agree, but in many cases it is just an issue of setting expectations - I've found that when the students understand that you aren't answering questions 24/7, that they become pretty reasonable.

Jon

Yes, I agree. Students should not expect the instructor to be available 24/7. This is unrealist for any job.

Correct! But sometimes students are not clear on that - its good to set expectations early - Jon

Anatoliy:

I do believe that online office hours are important as well.

Although I do not have "set" office hours I do engage in the course several times during the day and provide my online students my Yahoo and Skype IM ID's so they can see when I am online and ask a question if needed.

I also provide my home phone number and welcome calls at anytime.

Kim

Interesting, thanks! - Jon

I agree. A student may need assistance sooner than the time scheduled. This could lead to student frustration which could cause lack of focus and overall apathy toward learning.

Sign In to comment