Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Debra,

No matter what safeguards are in place, cheating can still occur. This is regardless of the delivery method. What I try to instill in my students is the value of knowing the material. I encourage them to be subject matter experts. That cannot be accomplished thru cheating. My favorite expression that gets students to think is “When you get called out of your home at 2:00 Am to fix a widget that’s down, there’s nobody there to copy off of. You must know the material.”

William - great example - thanks! Jon

Exams are over rated. Rote memory doesn't indicate understanding or the ability to apply material. It would be much better to ascertain level of understanding by chatting or short answer essays. It is more time consuming to grade as an instructor but well worth it. As an instructor I have the benefit of learning from my students using this format as well. A win win in my opinion.

Vivian,

Great point, more authentic assessments are definitely superior.

Jon

Debra:

I totally agree as Academic Integrity has been an issue that I have dealt with as well.

One change that is being implemented is changing as many mid-term exams to projects as possible.

We also do not let the students view their final exam results but do provide general feedback as to what topics were missed on the final exam.

Randomizing questions and/or having several different exams available during each session is one solution that might help with integrity.

Kim

I agree as well! - Jon

I like having the exams timed so the student does not have the opportunity to look up every answer. I also think the questions should change each quarter to prevent students sharing information.

Sherry,

Good point - it really just depends on what you are trying to use the quiz for. Some LMS's allow you to create a bank of questions, and then auto-rotate what is included.

Best,

Jon

Sign In to comment