Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My methods for continuous learning are: volunteering for fundraising events in the community, attending conferences and competing in culinary competitions. All of these learning opportunities shows the students the importance of a chef's ongoing approach to learning.

Work a second job in the field to keep up on local trends.

I am an idustry chef,I still meet and see current operations operating.I visit my Chef friends and still have my hand of what is current

I attend meetings, read magazines, also attend different cooking classes to learn any new styles or even better ways of teaching and old dish.

I attend food shows, TV programs and compete with other chefs to keep myself sharp

I always make it a habit of traveling to some country around the worl immersing myself in the culture and food markets learning about ingredients and techniques that i can then relate to my class and ciriculum

I tend to hone my own skills by attending conferences when I can. I review current trade magazines that discuss new trends and techniques. I communicate with colleagues in my own school, as well as others outside of the organization to get their feedback of customers, clients, etc.

Also, preparing for the ACF practical exam makes the world of a difference. This assists in time management, as well as waste, and utilization of product.

to keep myself up-to-date, I subscribe/read magazines. Attend various events locally. as well as, every time I cook I assure to cook professionally, professional cuts, timing, presentation, aromatics while cooking, mise en place, etc.

Jeremy,

What type of local trends do you share with the students?

Jae Gruber

I regularly participate in ACF meetings, go to workshops and attend foodshows. In addition my school often hosts guest speakers who lecture on cutting edge food trends and techniques.

rory,

Food shows are definitely a fantastic way to keep up with the latest and greatest trends. Some food shows offer courses as well. If possible, it can be a great field trip so that students may attend as well.

Jae Gruber

I focus on many aspects of keeping myself educated. They are:
1. Practicing my skills not only at school but at home. I cook constantly.
2. Continue to work in the industry and keep up with current trends, especially healthy eating, sustainability/farm to table, local/regional foods.
3. Read publications both in print and on internet
4. Attend conferences for chefs.
5. Get involved in organizations/community and networking
6. Work with other chefs and learn from them
7. Take continuing education classes
8. Learn from my students
9. Attend workshops, especially hands on workshops.
10. Judging ACF certification
11. Watch educational cooking shows only.
12. Read books and study information

Yes, reading food blogs, emails from current trends in the food and hospitality industry arrive in my inbox every week. I try to incorporate this into my demos, lectures, and assignments. It keeps me current and gives the students a chance to see how the industry is always evolving!

I like to stage when on vacation at up-and-coming restaurants, usually one or two shifts. I am no longer in "restaurant shape" so it's always a challenge to move faster/better/stronger. I love picking up newer techniques and scoping out all the fun new kitchen tools and gadgets at places I stage at.

I read all of the time. I use my "allowance" from my wife of 16 years to purchase overseas culinary related magazines. i aslo try to buy the books to the top 50 restaurants in the world. I read them but I also bring them in a couple of days to my classes for show and tell as long as everyones hands are clean!

Keep learning a priorities of yours. Strive for perfection. Reed professional books/magazines and watch culinary TV programs. Participate in industry workshops and attend shows. Use the community and your networking connection to be involved in local events or to stay on the top of the trends or fads. Relate and apply changes to the subject you teach.

Joshua,

It seems that you tap into a lot of resources to continue to grow and keep expanding your knowledge base. Great job!

Jae Gruber

Robert,

It is good to have guest speakers from outside the school lecture or demo to the students. It often reinforces what the students are hearing and learning in class.

Jae Gruber

Reaserch continously... tv, library, books, magazines, blogs, etc. As educators we are life-long learners and must stay current eitht he trends.

Pierre,

These are all excellent ideas to keep instructors on the cutting edge and to share with students.

Jae Gruber

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities